New Lounger
    Thanks

technet & free windows 10 upgrade

I used to subscribe to Technet before Microsoft discontinued the program.

I have a legal, retail, Windows 7 Premium package that was an upgrade to Vista.

I just used one of my Technet Windows 7 Ultimate keys that I had saved from my Technet subscription to upgrade Premium to Ultimate in anticipation of the Windows 10 upgrade in 10 days.

I activated it and the "Get Windows 10" icon appeared. When I right click & check my upgrade status, it says: "Your update is reserved!". I had done the reservation before I upgraded from Premium to Ultimate.

Is the Technet Windows 7 Ultimate product key eligible for a free Windows 10 upgrade?

Did I make a bad mistake moving to Technet Ultimate from retail Premium? Am I OK right now?

Thanks
    Is the Technet Windows 7 Ultimate product key eligible for a free Windows 10 upgrade?
    Yes...

Did I make a bad mistake moving to Technet Ultimate from retail Premium? Am I OK right now?
    NO....It's a smart move as you'll get the 10 Pro upgrade when MS releases it for us reserved holders.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Richard,

I will confirm & 2nd what Jim has said.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks,
    Confirmation on this point is important to me.

I got worried when the "Get Windows 10" icon disappeared after I did the Ultimate upgrade.
    It took a while to realize that I had to activate the upgrade to Ultimate.
    When I did that, the "Get" icon returned.

Thanks
    As with any major upgrade coming from Microsoft, Windows 10 can be fraught with trouble.

Be safe and backup your current OS to an external or second Hard Drive before you ever accept the upgrade to Windows 10.
    So if the upgrade goes horribly wrong, you can go right back to your original OS, No Harm, No Foul.

I've already prepared a second, 1TB drive with a CLONE of my main OS, Windows 8.1 pro.
    I'll take the Windows 10 upgrade, like thousands or others, but if I don't like it.....it's GONE!

I'm already testing Windows 10, 10240, and I can't see anything yet that would make me want it, over 8.1.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I have contemplating getting a key off ebay to get the pro version on at least one machine. I am thinking it will be cheaper that trying to Upgrade W10
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    wavy,
    the upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7/8 is free from Microsoft.
    ebay is not cheaper than that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    @RichardMW,

Yes, the upgrade from Win7/9.1 to 10 is free but an upgrade from a Home SKU to a Pro SKU is NOT free. Wavy means to upgrade from a home version of Win7 or Win 8.1 to a Pro version. That is likely to be less than the $99 USD to upgrade from Win10 Home to Pro.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    @RichardMW,

Yes, the upgrade from Win7/9.1 to 10 is free but an upgrade from a Home SKU to a Pro SKU is NOT free. Wavy means to upgrade from a home version of Win7 or Win 8.1 to a Pro version. That is likely to be less than the $99 USD to upgrade from Win10 Home to Pro.

Joe
    Correct!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.