New Lounger
    Thanks

On the device and printers screen I have a yellow warning sign next to the computer device.

Several days ago I had my hard drive re-formatted and windows 7 pro re-installed . Then I began re-installing my software. Everything went well until now. I tried installing the print driver/software for my HP laserjet P2015 printer - today it would not install as its older than windows 7; even though it installed ok when I bought the cpu back in 2011. Today it placed a yellow warning sign beside the printer device and the computer device listed in the "device and printer" screen.

I decided to leave the printer for the time being, I un-installed the printer driver/software, restarted the computer. I looked in the device/printer screen and while the printer is not listed there anymore I still have the yellow warning sign beside the computer device.

How do I get rid of this yellow warning sign. Is it going to cause problems? I havent finished installing all my software, namely an accounting software and am reluctant to install it , not wanting to complicate the problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It depends on what the device really is. Open "Device Manager" by starting Windows Explorer then right click on Computer and select Manage. When Computer Management opens click on Device Manager in the left pane. When Device Manager populates the right pane look for an exclamation point and right click on the device and select Properties. Click on the details tab and then in the drop down menu select Hardware Ids. Search for the ID on the internet or Copy and paste into a reply here. Someone will help figure it out.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is likely awaiting your loading the print driver. Do so and see if the yellow flag is gone.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/p...&swEnvOid=4063

The Hardware ID in the above post can be determines using the PCI Database:
    http://www.pcidatabase.com/

On the top line you will see a VEN_#### (= vendor) and a DEV_#### (= device). Each with a 4 digit number.

Write them down and plug in one or the other (I usually use the DEV number unless I need the Vendor name to narrow a device down) to give you the chip maker and device that is issuing a warning. Hopefully it will make sense and a correction can be implemented (usually reinstalling the appropriate device driver).
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-07-20 at 20:20.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    It depends on what the device really is. Open "Device Manager" by starting Windows Explorer then right click on Computer and select Manage. When Computer Management opens click on Device Manager in the left pane. When Device Manager populates the right pane look for an exclamation point and right click on the device and select Properties. Click on the details tab and then in the drop down menu select Hardware Ids. Search for the ID on the internet or Copy and paste into a reply here. Someone will help figure it out.
    Joe
    Ok, I followed your instructions and this is what I found - the exclamation point on Other devices/Unknown device. cliked on details/hardware Ids and got this -
    USB\ASMEDIAUSBD_HUB&VID_040E&PID_0100&REV_0000

I googled that and results were about USB drivers need updating. However, back in that Device Manager area I looked at the Universal Serial bus controllers and none of them had an exclamation point.

When I was looking at the properties of this Unknown Device - the General tab said the drivers for this device are not installed. I cliked Update Driver - I selected my printer and inserted my CD disk. and the driver folders listed are win98_ME, Win2000_XP. And the message said the drivers are not compatible with a Windows 64 bit system. The drivers are outdated.

Where do I go from here?

I really appreciate your help with my problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Click on the HP link in post #3. You should be able to download the printer driver.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to thank both of you for your help with my problem. I've decided to leave the printer problem for the time being. It's HST month here in Canada and I have to get to work on it. thanks, Jennif