New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Can I withdraw from my Win10 Reservation?

I allowed MS to install the "Get Windows 10" reservation on my Win7 computer and am regretting it. I don't want to upgrade this computer. Is it possible to remove my "Reservation" (which apparently will trigger an automatic download next week) and if so how?

Greg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about it, maybe just Hide the icon in the Notification Area using the Customize feature. As for removing those updates maybe it will work to just Hide it rather than update when offered again.

As for not upgrading that computer, you don't have to and can Upgrade other Windows devices you have and have done the reservation thing on them, according to this Microsoft page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...serve_mod1_faq

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes:

Right-click the Get Windows 10 icon, click Check your upgrade status, then Cancel reservation.

(Or open the app, click menu icon at top left, click View confirmation, then Cancel reservation.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile MS supports Win10 Reservation Cancellation

Hard to believe, but a search of MS Help (for Win10) actually has an FAQ about this. Here's how to cancel:
    If I change my mind, can I cancel my reservation?

Yes, you can cancel your reservation at any time prior to installing Windows 10. Here’s how:

• Right click on the Get Windows 10 app or Windows icon located in right end of the taskbar.
    • Select “Check your upgrade status”
    • Click the menu icon [3 horizontal bars] in the upper left corner, then select “View Confirmation.”
    • In the lower left, select “Cancel reservation.”

If you follow these instructions, it seems to work because although the Win10 icon stays in your taskbar, and you invoke the above procedure, the menu choices are different, giving you an option to create a reservation, indicating the previous reservation has been cancelled. Nice.

I'll keep the icon in case I change my mind within the next year: it'll provide me a simple portal to the upgrade.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it, maybe just Hide the icon in the Notification Area using the Customize feature. As for removing those updates maybe it will work to just Hide it rather than update when offered again.

As for not upgrading that computer, you don't have to and can Upgrade other Windows devices you have and have done the reservation thing on them, according to this Microsoft page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...serve_mod1_faq

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I withdrew my 'reservation' for Windows 10 however I have recently received an email stating that the Windows upgrade will download into my computer after July 29 'in the background'. I do not want even this to be downloaded to my PC. How can I be sure I will not get this download? I fear that I will receive this background download without my knowledge. Am I being paranoid?

The PC I use can never be upgraded due to the types of software I have which, I am advised by my software provider, will not work on Win 10 and there are no plans to upgrade the software.
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

Banned Member
    Thanks
    One can cancel the Reserve & also, even, if it does give the Download, it will not self-install automatically...ergo, just don't ever initiate the install. Any concerns regarding the Upgrade to Windows 10 scenarios are addressed HERE.

As an aside, certainly, do heartily encourage & recommend moving up to Windows 10 and taking the Reserve. One will receive it & be able to have Win10 that much sooner if the Reserve is done. The order of distribution will be Insiders, Reserves & then, the rest of the Globe.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Barbie, hello.

>>> The PC I use can never be upgraded due to the types of software I have <<<

Let me state my doubts on this, I use 9 and 10 year old machines on which I have 8 year old softwares and they all run fine. This being said, your choice would be to do a clone of your machine then try to install W-10 on it. If per chance, this does not work, you could easily clone back your original setup and be on your way to happiness.

I use Acronis here to clone my many machines, it is made in Germany and runs quite satisfactorily on all machines here, I have 6 of them, and I also do support for many friends and kinship and Acronis has never missed on me.

Have a look at : http://www.acronis.com/de-de/

Auf weider. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jean,

My friend, this bit of text (The PC I use can never be upgraded due to the types of software I have) didn't make any sense to me, either.

Plus, most everything that runs on 7 & or 8.1 runs on 10.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Barbie, hello.

Let me state my doubts on this, I use 9 and 10 year old machines on which I have 8 year old softwares and they all run fine. This being said, your choice would be to do a clone of your machine then try to install W-10 on it. If per chance, this does not work, you could easily clone back your original setup and be on your way to happiness.

I use Acronis here to clone my many machines, it is made in Germany and runs quite satisfactorily on all machines here, I have 6 of them, and I also do support for many friends and kinship and Acronis has never missed on me.

Auf weider. Jean.
    Sadly, my favourite game won't run on anything newer that Windows 98! They've never release a new version with the same features and there is no hacked version out there. It does happen.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Please, remember that just because some old software may not work on a new or recent OS does not mean that OS is bad or no good... it's more a issue w/ the piece of software than the OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Barbie, hello.

Auf weider. Jean.
    Danke Jean. I intend to upgrade my Asus notebook but let my big Toshiba remain with Win 7 for some time. I use Corel X5 on the Toshiba. Corel is often slow in updating its software or simply releasing newer software (for a price, or course) for the newer O/S.

I have Acronis 11 so perhaps I will take your advice and try to clone my machine and see how things work out for me.
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have removed and hidden the Windows updates that deal with W10 and I have no icons or update info.
    This is a list of the updates and removal instructions.
    http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how...ndows-7-and-8/

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Gudden aben, Barbie.
    Doing a clone is the best ever solution. It is so forward and so easy to clone back . . if needed ! Also, you can place both OS on the same screen your C:\ and the USB clone and see that they are equal. Once more, you can move individual files from the clone to your main machine if in the mean time any folder got bad on you, no need to clone the whole HD. with a clone, you can even move files to another machine, not OS related as these write to the Registry.

Since I got to do clones, I have totally given up on "image", granted, I run 6 different computors and I have dedicated a single USB HD to each one of them. Better safe than sorry.

W-10 has been so stable here that all these machines are running it, today, I used a w-8.1 clone to do a clone of this Lenovo running W-10 10240, I have no intention of ever going back to W-8 and using the HD to clone W-10 got rid of W-8.1, as a clone will wipe the whole destination HD.

I have Corel X2 here but I use P-Shop 6 most of the time as it is simpler to use and I do not do any professional work anymore. This old app runs fine on W-10 along with O2K.

Auf ! Jean.