4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Redefine the "Apply Style" shortcut?

Since the introduction of Word 2003 I've been irritated by the Apply Styles dialog. Leave it in the Word window and it occupies an entire column of real estate, most of which is wasted. Move it outside the window and it has to be moved every time the window is moved to keep it in a convenient place.

I recently discovered a partial fix for this: adding a dropdown list of styles to the toolbar. But there's one problem: the Ctrl+Shift+S shortcut still selects the Apply Styles dialog. To use the dropdown I have to select it by mouse, which creates more inconvenience than it saves. Is there a way to make Ctrl+Shift+S select the toolbar dropdown instead?

Thanks
    Press the Alt key. A number will appear (on my QAT it's 04). Typing this number will place focus in the control and you can apply a style from there. Then all you have to do is remember Alt, 04 (or whatever your number is).
    Last edited by kmurdock; 2015-07-22 at 17:17. Reason: clarity

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the suggestion, but that doesn't work for me. Numbers appeared only for the controls in the QAT and the ribbon tabs -- not for any of the controls in the ribbon.

I added the Style box to the QAT, and then I could access it by entering Alt+5. That sort of solves the problem. It's a pretty funky solution, though -- I had to put the box in the QAT, where I didn't want it, and take whatever shortcut the GUI gave me instead of selecting an appropriate one. I would have hoped that Microsoft could do better by one of its flagship applications.
    Last edited by jsachs177; 2015-07-22 at 19:22.

Thanks
    jsachs177, my bad. I misread that you'd added it to the ribbon. It's an extra step then.

Let's say you added your drop-down to the Home tab on the ribbon. Press the Alt key and each of the Tabs on the ribbon get assigned a letter. "H" is the letter assigned to the Home tab. So you press H -- even if the Home tab is already displayed -- and then letters will appear for each of the controls on the Home ribbon.

That's why I put it on my QAT.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kmurdock For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-07-23)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsachs177 View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion, but that doesn't work for me. Numbers appeared only for the controls in the QAT and the ribbon tabs -- not for any of the controls in the ribbon.
    You reach the controls on the Ribbon by pressing the letter for the Ribbon Tab. This is much as in Word 2003 you pressed Alt and then the letter for the menu, followed by the letter for the command.

I added the Style box to the QAT, and then I could access it by entering Alt+5. That sort of solves the problem. It's a pretty funky solution, though -- I had to put the box in the QAT, where I didn't want it, and take whatever shortcut the GUI gave me instead of selecting an appropriate one. I would have hoped that Microsoft could do better by one of its flagship applications.
    I want the Styles drop-down on the QAT because then it is available regardless of which Ribbon Tab is displayed. You have to use the shortcut Word gives you because the QAT shortcuts are set based on which controls you choose to put on the QAT. There are hundreds -- if not thousands -- of available commands.

Ctrl+Shift+S remains available to pop up the dropdown with or without installation on the QAT.

You can assign your own shortcut as well.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2015-07-28 at 07:23.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    You can assign your own shortcut as well.
    How?! That's what I had in mind in my original post, and what I tried to clarify in my response.

Thanks
    You can assign your own keyboard shortcut to the pop-up. I don't know of a way to assign a custom keyboard shortcut to move the focus to the styles dropdown in the QAT or ribbon. (Don't know why you would want it in the ribbon, anyway.)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My original post explains why I want it in the ribbon.

But it looks like there's no way to put in there and assign my own shortcut, so I'm stuck with half a solution.

I'm trying to get used to entering Alt+4 to select the style dropdown, after years of constant use that ground Ctrl+Shift+S into my hindbrain.

(BTW, an additional drawback of this design is that the shortcut changes depending on what other controls are defined in the QAT or ribbon on any given machine. So I'll have to devise one universal configuration and apply it to every machine I use, or the shortcut will be different on every machine.)

(And another drawback is that the Alt key doesn't always work. Sometimes it has no effect until I press it a second time, which forces me to look at the Word window whenever I do use it. This is just a bad, bad, bad design.)