Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing without a Hard Drive

I bought a new laptop a few days ago and am currently moving things from my old Vista laptop to the new Win8.1 laptop. My new laptop does not have a disc drive which I would normally use to install some of the software programs that I use. I knew that I might need to buy an external disc drive but I haven't done that at this point. I can use my network to have my new laptop read from the hard drive on the Vista laptop. Is there a way to also use the disc drive on the Vista machine via the network to install programs on the Win8.1 machine?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bill,

I think you mean a CD/DVD Drive for installation? If so, yes you can share the CD/DVD drive across your home network and access the CD/DVD drive on your new laptop. It will however be very slow. You might want to look into ripping the installation disks to USB Keys using software like Rufus or it's ilk. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    And if you foresee a need for more installs from CD or DVD you can get an External USB Optical drive such as this one:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1&Sku=L49-8032
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106104

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Bill,

I think you mean a CD/DVD Drive for installation? If so, yes you can share the CD/DVD drive across your home network and access the CD/DVD drive on your new laptop. It will however be very slow. You might want to look into ripping the installation disks to USB Keys using software like Rufus or it's ilk. HTH
    Yes, I was talking about the CD/DVD Drive. I like the idea you suggested of using a USB thumb drive. I'll look into that subject a little more.

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions Berton. I'm hoping to avoid spending more money right now but I may have to go this route.

Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Bill,
    ... You might want to look into ripping the installation disks to USB Keys using software like Rufus or it's ilk. HTH
    I haven't figured out how to get from a program installation disc to the input for Rufus, which needs to be a .iso file I believe. Using the Rufus documentation I saw a list of programs that I believe are supposed to be able to create a .iso file from an installation disc. 7-ZIP is one of the programs listed and I already have it on my laptop so I tried to use it but didn't get anywhere. Can someone help me out on this?

Thanks,
    Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    For installing programs such as Microsoft Office, Corel WordPerfect, Roxio CD/DVD Creator and similar that come on disc I just Copy the entire contents onto a USB Thumb/Flash drive or other storage device then run the setup.exe or autorun.exe file from withing Windows Explorer or File Explorer or other file management program to start the install. It's much the same as double-clicking a file one has downloaded from a Web site such as an antivirus program to start the install.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton, that doesn't seem to work for me. At least when I try to install TurboTax that way. I don't know how the setup program knows where to go to get the other components that it needs. I just tried it and the setup program ran and put the installation picture on the screen and very quickly said that it was ready to install TurboTax but then nothing else happened. I assume that is why you have to use a program like Rufus in order to put the right program format on the thumb drive.

Hopefully, someone will still come along and give me a clue about how to get the contents of the CD/DVD into the .iso format for Rufus.

Thanks,
    Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    Hopefully, someone will still come along and give me a clue about how to get the contents of the CD/DVD into the .iso format for Rufus.

Thanks,
    Bill
    I use Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator and in addition to being able to create a CD or DVD from an .iso file it has a Create Image function to create either a .gi or an .iso file. I would think there's a number of programs that can do it, one that comes to mind is Isobuster.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Berton. I'll look around for a free one!

Bill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In Windows 8 you right click the CD and select Convert to Image.
    In previous version I use either ISORecorder (preferred for reading) or CDBurnerXP (better if you want to write as well).

cheers, Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2015-07-24)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Paul,

Nice trick! I didn't know about that right-click option.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Always a right click option for something, not necessarily something you want though.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T
    In Windows 8 you right click the CD and select Convert to Image. ...
    Thanks for the update Paul. That is nice to know. My wife's PC has Win8 and a CD/DVD drive so I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    You can install programs using the DVD drive on your other networked computer. You just have to share the DVD drive on it with the rest of the network (right click on the drive>Share).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast