New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010 - File opens differently in Admin and User accounts

This is my first ever post anywhere--bear with me.

A very strange thing has happened to a Word document. I had printed many copies from it a week ago, then today I opened it and it is corrupted. Some type is missing, photos and graphics missing. The document was a little complicated, four columns, legal size, lots of color, to fold into a brochure. Because I had updated it by modifying the photos and graphics, I didn’t want to lose my most recent and “finished version.” I searched the C drive, then the computer, in the event I had accidentally filed it elsewhere than where it belonged. No luck.

Not finding it, I went to the external backup (the first time I ever had to do this), found a file from a week ago and restored it. Of course, I had to sign in on my Admin account to do this. Great! The document is perfect, all updated, just the way I want it. I immediately saved it as a .pdf file, then placed both the .doc and the .pdf in a folder of their own on the C drive so I could open them when I went to my usual User account.

So now as a User, when I open the .pdf file, it is okay. When I open the .doc file, it is exactly as the corrupted file I first mentioned above. Exactly! I tried renaming the file, even filed it as a .docx type. Nothing works.

I have used Word since the beginning (90s), and have worked through any other problem I ever had, and though I HATE Word 2010, I have had to work with it since my XP died last year. But this one has me completely stymied. How can one file change like that simply because I have opened it as a User, yet it is okay when I open it as the Admin. I hope someone out there has a simple answer – I’m dying to know!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I haven't ever seen a situation like this so I can only suggest things to check for.

I guess it is possible that the content missing is linked in from a location that is locked for that user account. This is more likely with your photos and graphics but is also possible with text.

Another possibility is that the two accounts have configured Word to find its templates in different locations AND that your document is set to update the styles automatically when opening. If this was the case, the content would still be there but just not visible because a style change has increased the spacing or changed the font and content no longer fits in the shapes you have placed it in.

I don't know how well you know Word but if you need assistance in working out whether the two above suggestions are at play, let us know and we can provide more detailed instructions on how you can work through this.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

A simple thing happened ....

I almost don't want to admit it, but here is what happened. When you mentioned the content could still be there, I felt sure that was true, so I began checking settings under "Options." After experimenting, it comes down to one simple setting: Advanced/Show document content/Show drawings and text boxes on screen. I had not KNOWINGLY ever unchecked that box, but obviously it happened. And I lost an hour in my day!

Thank you so much for your reply, and your offer to help me further.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    I haven't ever seen a situation like this so I can only suggest things to check for.

I guess it is possible that the content missing is linked in from a location that is locked for that user account. This is more likely with your photos and graphics but is also possible with text.

Another possibility is that the two accounts have configured Word to find its templates in different locations AND that your document is set to update the styles automatically when opening. If this was the case, the content would still be there but just not visible because a style change has increased the spacing or changed the font and content no longer fits in the shapes you have placed it in.

I don't know how well you know Word but if you need assistance in working out whether the two above suggestions are at play, let us know and we can provide more detailed instructions on how you can work through this.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting the solution. I have never paid any attention to that setting even though it is right next to the 'Show Picture Placeholders' which often gets mentioned when graphics are not displaying.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia