Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Cleanup option to "Clean up system files" is missing

Re Fred Langa's piece on July 23rd on Winsxs and Win7 cleanup: I have KB2852386 installed (I checked), but when I run Disk Cleanup on my Win7 x64 system, for my C drive, I do not see an option to "Clean up system files" like it says in Fred's article. Why is this? In the list of "Files to delete", with the check boxes, I do see an item "Windows update cleanup". Is this the same thing? My Winsxs folder is 11.4 GB, even after running "Windows update cleanup".

Banned Member
    Thanks
    If one uses the default Disc Cleanup there is a list of items. If one uses Extended Disc Cleanup (Sage) the list of available items is longer.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    Re Fred Langa's piece on July 23rd on Winsxs and Win7 cleanup: I have KB2852386 installed (I checked), but when I run Disk Cleanup on my Win7 x64 system, for my C drive, I do not see an option to "Clean up system files" like it says in Fred's article. Why is this? In the list of "Files to delete", with the check boxes, I do see an item "Windows update cleanup". Is this the same thing? My Winsxs folder is 11.4 GB, even after running "Windows update cleanup".
    What was the size of the Winsxs folder before you ran Disk Cleanup as an admin.

The update clean up only cleans out obsolete WUs.

I run Disk Cleanup as an admin after every month's updates and mine is currently 9.17GB in size.

I only get the free version of the news letter so don't know how Fred described it, but I don't see that option in mine either in Win 7.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, but not very helpful, unfortunately. Drew1903 recommends using the sageset/sagerun scenario. I have been through that, but it does not give me "Clean up system files". In the link posted by jwitalka, there is a post from Petero which says "I ran the cleanup program but my version didn't show "Clean up System Files". I checked I had the updated version and discovered that there are two versions of the program. One which has the button and another which displays "Windows Update Cleanup" in the list of clean up options." What are these two versions? I can only find one version of cleanmgr.exe on my system. Petero then links to a Microsoft support page which is even more confusing. It implies that "Clean up system files" and "Windows update cleanup" are mutually exclusive, because it says "If the Windows Update Cleanup option is not displayed on the Disk Cleanup tab, click Clean up system files."

When I run disk cleanup, I do see "Windows update cleanup" in the list of things to delete, but I do NOT see a separate button, lower down, saying "Clean up system files".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    @Bundaburra,

The only time I've seen the behavior which you describe is when the account being used is the Administrator account or disk cleanup is being started with "Run as administrator".

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps it's time for Fred Langa to step in and explain what he meant.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    Thanks for the replies, but not very helpful, unfortunately. Drew1903 recommends using the sageset/sagerun scenario. I have been through that, but it does not give me "Clean up system files". In the link posted by jwitalka, there is a post from Petero which says "I ran the cleanup program but my version didn't show "Clean up System Files". I checked I had the updated version and discovered that there are two versions of the program. One which has the button and another which displays "Windows Update Cleanup" in the list of clean up options." What are these two versions? I can only find one version of cleanmgr.exe on my system. Petero then links to a Microsoft support page which is even more confusing. It implies that "Clean up system files" and "Windows update cleanup" are mutually exclusive, because it says "If the Windows Update Cleanup option is not displayed on the Disk Cleanup tab, click Clean up system files."

When I run disk cleanup, I do see "Windows update cleanup" in the list of things to delete, but I do NOT see a separate button, lower down, saying "Clean up system files".
    The link in the post is a Microsoft update to cleanmgr. Download and run the appropriate file at he bottom of the page in the link. If you have an older version of cleanmgr, it will update it.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    With due respect to Jerry, I don't believe what he says is correct. The link at the bottom of that page is actually a link to KB2852386, which I already had, and it does not include cleanmgr.exe in the list of files it changes. Uninstalling and re-installing that update made no difference.

But Joe's comment provided the solution. I found that if I ran cleanup with reduced privileges it did indeed show me the "Clean up system files" box. But then it did NOT show "Windows update cleanup" in the list of items to be deleted. Evidently it runs on two levels, one for ordinary users, and one for administrators. I had always run it as an administrator, because I believed that would give more access to things that needed cleaning up. (The version of cleanmgr.exe which I have is 6.1.7600.16385, dated July 2009,)

So now the question is: what is the difference between "Clean up system files" and "Windows update cleanup"? I can have one or the other, but not both, in a run of cleanup. What does each one do? Does one do more than the other?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In normal circumstances, disk cleanup runs in two stages if you want to clean up system files and follow through with Windows update cleanup

This is what I observed on my computer today

In the first stage, you should see the button for Clean up system files but you will not see Windows update cleanup in the list during this first stage
    When you click on clean up system files the 2nd part of the process might include Windows update cleanup
    --- If there aren't any windows updates to cleanup you will not see Windows update cleanup in the list
    --- If there are windows updates to cleanup you will see Windows update cleanup in the list and it will be checked in

"What does each one do?"
    --- In the first stage clean up system files will clean out the checked items without cleaning windows updates
    --- If you continue into the 2nd stage, Windows update cleanup is included if there are windows updates to be cleaned up

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2852386
    --- The Windows Update Cleanup option is available only when the Disk Cleanup wizard detects Windows updates that you do not need on the computer.
    --- To let you roll back to previous updates, updates are stored in the WinSxS store even after they are superseded by later updates. Therefore, after you run the Disk Cleanup wizard, you may be unable to roll back to a superseded update. If you want to roll back to a superseded update that the Disk Cleanup wizard deletes, you can manually install the update.

It sounds like originally you did not have the Cleanup System Files button available
    --- Did this problem just occur once you investigated your Winsxs folder but the Cleanup System Files button was available before then?
    --- Either way it sounds like your Winsxs folder of 11.GB needs attention
    --- I haven’t read the article yet but I’m going to

You mention you used reduced privileges and the Cleanup System Files button is available now

Last but not least is UAC enabled or disabled.
    --- I lost track of a link from one of the Microsoft help sites that mention that can be a factor in Clean up system files button not being present

EDIT: I just read that article, not much to add from that article from the many posts that have been provided
    However, now that you are able to run Clean up system files and then follow up with Windows Update cleanup when it applies, I'd say shut the computer down; after starting back up redo Disk Cleanup on a daily basis for a few days and see if your 12GB decreases. About a month ago I worked on a Win 8.1 which was about a year behind on Windows updates and the above procedure worked out very well. I do not know the original size of the WinSxS folder but it is at 6.18 GB today. Good luck
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2015-07-25 at 00:27.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Jwitalka this post is what i was looking for
    Last edited by macropod; 2015-08-14 at 23:23. Reason: Restored original post refernce

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PCaddit12 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    In normal circumstances, disk cleanup runs in two stages if you want to clean up system files and follow through with Windows update cleanup

This is what I observed on my computer today

In the first stage, you should see the button for Clean up system files but you will not see Windows update cleanup in the list during this first stage
    When you click on clean up system files the 2nd part of the process might include Windows update cleanup
    --- If there aren't any windows updates to cleanup you will not see Windows update cleanup in the list
    --- If there are windows updates to cleanup you will see Windows update cleanup in the list and it will be checked in

"What does each one do?"
    --- In the first stage clean up system files will clean out the checked items without cleaning windows updates
    --- If you continue into the 2nd stage, Windows update cleanup is included if there are windows updates to be cleaned up

--- The Windows Update Cleanup option is available only when the Disk Cleanup wizard detects Windows updates that you do not need on the computer.
    --- To let you roll back to previous updates, updates are stored in the WinSxS store even after they are superseded by later updates. Therefore, after you run the Disk Cleanup wizard, you may be unable to roll back to a superseded update. If you want to roll back to a superseded update that the Disk Cleanup wizard deletes, you can manually install the update.

It sounds like originally you did not have the Cleanup System Files button available
    --- Did this problem just occur once you investigated your Winsxs folder but the Cleanup System Files button was available before then?
    --- Either way it sounds like your Winsxs folder of 11.GB needs attention
    --- I haven’t read the article yet but I’m going to

You mention you used reduced privileges and the Cleanup System Files button is available now

Last but not least is UAC enabled or disabled.
    --- I lost track of a link from one of the Microsoft help sites that mention that can be a factor in Clean up system files button not being present

EDIT: I just read that article, not much to add from that article from the many posts that have been provided
    However, now that you are able to run Clean up system files and then follow up with Windows Update cleanup when it applies, I'd say shut the computer down; after starting back up redo Disk Cleanup on a daily basis for a few days and see if your 12GB decreases. About a month ago I worked on a Win 8.1 which was about a year behind on Windows updates and the above procedure worked out very well. I do not know the original size of the WinSxS folder but it is at 6.18 GB today. Good luck
    Thanks great help
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-08-15 at 06:20. Reason: Spam link removed.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Prefer the extended disc cleanup of Sage. Also, recommend configuring it, this, as a daily Scheduled Task.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew I tried to do a daily scheduled task and it's fine for running the disk cleanup but it doesn't include the second section of clean up system files. There was a Sage included but I don't recall which post I picked it up in.
    Anyway if it's possible to run disk cleanup including the second section of clean up system files I'd love to be able to do so. Can you help me on that?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes.

The thing is one needs to do Sage one, 1st time manually then, configure it as an auto task.

> cmd or Power shell

(type) cleanmgr sageset:01
    Hit ENTER

The window which comes up has a longer list of items than the default Disc Cleanup & will (now) all those things.

Check all but, the last 2 or 2dn last 2 EDS &the one next to it. Each has a blurb describing & where to check (safety) or not.

Hit OK

Now, go back to cmd or Powershell
    (type) cleanmgr sagerun:01
    Hit ENTER

Now, go schedule the task.

Call it Sage
    Description: Extended disc cleanup on all volumes
    Check "Run w/ highest privledges"
    Trigger: Daily 1:00:00AM
    Action: Windows\System32\cleanmgr.exe/sagerun:01

OK on all windows.

Sage will now show in the Task Library