2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 upgrade, One Drive

I must admit I am not a fan of placing stuff "in the cloud" on an Internet that get scarier everyday; I have OneDrive disabled in Win 8.1 Pro, or at least not "syncing" with anything. Will I cause myself problems during the Windows 10 upgrade install with these settings?

Maybe I should ask this in another new thread, but here goes....I plan on upgrading my Win 8.1 Pro laptop first which is my "play & experiment" computer. I plan to place the Windows 10 download for a clean install on a USB flash drive; will that one download be sufficient to clean install for all my devices? Thanks.

Diane
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Thanks
    You can definitely clean install with that. Whether or not those installs are activated is another matter. Your Win 8.1 Pro computer will be activated providing you have a legit key. The others may not be.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    You can definitely clean install with that. Whether or not those installs are activated is another matter. Your Win 8.1 Pro computer will be activated providing you have a legit key. The others may not be.
    Both my PC's have legitimate, activated installs of Win 8.1 Pro. All I was asking was whether or not one copy of Win10 downloaded for a clean install would work on two PC's or would it be necessary to get one copy for a clean install for each machine in the event things didn't go so well. I didn't think Win10 would act the same as Win7, but I don't know that for sure.

D.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesP View Post
    Both my PC's have legitimate, activated installs of Win 8.1 Pro. All I was asking was whether or not one copy of Win10 downloaded for a clean install would work on two PC's or would it be necessary to get one copy for a clean install for each machine in the event things didn't go so well. I didn't think Win10 would act the same as Win7, but I don't know that for sure.
    You should have no difficulties installing and activating Windows 10 using the same installation media for both.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

PeachesP (2015-07-26)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much-just didn't want to do the same thing twice if I didn't need to.

D.

Thanks
    Most important is the you make a Backup Image of your 8.1 installation, before you wipe it out with Windows 10.
    Then if for some reason, Windows 10 is not to your liking, or it won't run correctly on your hardware, you can just restore your 8.1 backup and not loose anything in the process. That's what I'm doing!

good luck PeachesP

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Most important is the you make a Backup Image of your 8.1 installation, before you wipe it out with Windows 10.
    Then if for some reason, Windows 10 is not to your liking, or it won't run correctly on your hardware, you can just restore your 8.1 backup and not loose anything in the process. That's what I'm doing!

good luck PeachesP

The Doctor
    Backups will be done in their final form on both laptop & desktop after getting the final Windows updates; was a pleasure to do previous backups with USB 3.0 and EaseUS. Looking forward to the new OS. Thanks for your input.

D.