Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 Auto Updates?

I haven't looked at anything more than what's being reported but it seems that automatic updates are built into Win 10 and that could be a problem for some of us. I run a number of computers 24/7 that run remote observatories that are set to inform me of updates but let me choose and download when it is good for me. As an example, automatically downloading and installing updates during an automated imaging session is not acceptable and would actually compromise the session effectively stopping all automated scripts and ending the session not to mention not allowing the safe and proper shutdown and closing of the observatory. The only acceptable way this could work is if you can apply a given time range for updates to be downloaded and applied, say between noon and 3pm as an example. And even then I'm not so sure I want automated driver updates that have any effect on the observatory equipment without personal oversight. As it stands is this going to be a problem?

I would hope MS has flexibility in the owners having some control over their systems. It isn't as easy as just disconnecting these observatories from the Internet as they are remotely controlled by Internet connections. Thanks for any insight.

Steve

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can select a time for Windows 10 restarts: How to Schedule Restarts for Updates in Windows 10

If you're upgrading from Pro, not Home, then you may have more control with Windows Update for Business; but details of how that may work are extremely sparse so far.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Bruce but the way I read this and a few other articles covering this it is a case by case request. It reads as if you already have the updates downloaded and installed and if you need to restart it allows you to schedule this restart. It doesn't read as being able to schedule a restart if needed globally for all updates, now and future. That also seems to indicate that if I want these programs running again after a reboot I need to have them load from the Startup folder. As it is there are a number of programs that need to run for the automation process. In this case Astronomers Control Program (ACP), ACP Scheduler, the roof/dome software, and cloud/rain sensor programs must be running to determine the time and conditions to start the observatory for imaging sessions if conditions are good. Adding those to the startup is easy enough but getting around having to constantly check to see if these remote machines have updates that require a restart is a bit cumbersome. Being able to give the computers a time period that restarts from updates are allowable is the better solution.

Hope this makes some sense. And all these systems are Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think you should keep an eye out for news about Windows Update for Business, once anyone starts using it after the next week.

Some have guessed that it requires a server setup, like WSUS. I think it's going to work more like Windows Update but with controls.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Bruce. I suspect my best approach is to upgrade the non essential computers and see where that takes me.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Agreed:

Kleynhans said businesses need to spend some time testing out Windows 10 in a controlled fashion: "Bring it into a lab, bring it into a test environment, let some folks run it for the rest of this year. Then, in 2016, get serious about it, start looking at it in a real test environment, start piloting it with some real users to see how it's performing."

The analyst said that some organizations are keen to get moving as soon as Windows 10 is available - such as those that are still using Windows XP or who have plans to deploy hybrid PC devices. But, for most companies, this will be too soon.

"There are pieces of the operating system targeted at the enterprise that we really haven't had a chance to try out yet. You can't consider significant production rollouts even in the most aggressive cases until later in the fall."

He cited Windows Update for Business as a new tool that small and medium sized businesses will want to use, but that wasn't part of the tech preview.

When should businesses upgrade to Windows 10?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I stumbled on this 2-month-old info from a Microsoft Director about Windows Update for Business which confirms it's Windows Update with some controls but no server required:

WUB also delivers a new, customizable mechanism for delivering patches in the organization that takes advantage of more granular policies. Adopting the Windows Insider program for Windows 10 as a model, WUFB will allow companies to choose “rings” of update delivery. Businesses can define their own rings, giving them the ability to define how quickly patches are pulled and delivered from Microsoft. This is really not much different than it is today with WSUS and SCCM, but now updates will be delivered directly to the client from Microsoft servers based on the personalized ring.
    Windows Update for Business is Better, Says Microsoft

Whether that provides any more control over day/time of restarts remains to be seen.

Thanks
    In run dialog type gpedit.msc. When group policy editor opens go to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

After you double-click on Windows Update, you will be presented with many different options. The one we are concerned with is "Configure Automatic Updates." Double-click this to open up a new window.

Click on enabled, and then in drop down menu click on notify for download, and notify for install. Click OK.

This works.