New Lounger
    Thanks

Are There Any GPO's That Can Do what Smart Shield Does?

Hopefully I'm posting this request in the correct spot.

One of our clients is a small town public library. They have a 2008 R2 Server along with 13 desktop computers, 9 of which are made available for public use. They also have 3 laptops for public use.
    The 3 laptops and one of the desktops came with Smart Shield installed. Smart Shield allows the Library to configure the laptops and the desktop and lock that configuration in, so to speak, so that if a person makes any changes to the configuration while they use it, those changes are removed when the laptop is restarted. The remaining public use desktops are locked down via Group Policy settings. While this helps to keep these desktop's configuration somewhat stable, they are still prone to drive-by downloads from various websites the public user might visit.

My question is, are there any GPO's that can be crafted that will allow the same functionality that Smart Shield offers, i.e. bringing the computerr back to it's original configuration on restart?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it depends on the client OS(s), which you didn't mention, and the degree to which they need to be locked down:

Steady State for Windows 7

Assigned Access in Windows 8.1 vs. Group Policy Kiosk Mode

Reboot Restore Rx is a possible freeware solution: Looking for a Windows SteadyState Replacement?

There's also freeware from Singapore which I guess could be tested: Toolwiz Time Freeze
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-07-23 at 12:00. Reason: better Win 7 link

New Lounger
    Thanks

Client OS

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I think it depends on the client OS(s), which you didn't mention, and the degree to which they need to be locked down:

Steady State for Windows 7

Assigned Access in Windows 8.1 vs. Group Policy Kiosk Mode

Reboot Restore Rx is a possible freeware solution: Looking for a Windows SteadyState Replacement?

There's also freeware from Singapore which I guess could be tested: Toolwiz Time Freeze
    Sorry about that. all the computers are running Windows 7 Pro while their Server is running Windows Server 2008 R2.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have used and can recommend DeepFreeze to lock down computers. In the Enterprise version you can set up a console on the server that will allow you to unlock the machines if required and you can define unlocked partitions if you need to save data.
    http://www.faronics.com/en-uk/produc...ze/enterprise/

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about not getting back here for awhile. I looked through all the suggestions offered and learned quite a bit about replicating Steady State using the tools offered in Windows 7 and Windows Server Domains. Right now it looks like things will remain as they are due to time and money. Tried to convince them that they would be saving money in the long run but the Library just doesn't have the funds right now to pay for setting up system images and having them restore the computers.

Thanks to all who took the time to share their experience and insights!

--tfw