3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Button to log into local wi-fi network

I am teaching computer skills at a local senior center
    The center setup a local wi-fi network with a posted password which is changed monthly.

I remember sometime back creating a desktop button to do various things (i.e. shut down).

I would like to create a desktop button for people to enter the "password" and have internet access.

This would be much easier then having them use the taskbar.

Any suggestion how to accomplish this.
    Richard Spring

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As they will still have to enter the password given the variables that could consist of, is there any point ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try creating a desktop icon with "RunDll32.exe van.dll,RunVAN" as the location. But you still need to click the required network (and find an appropriate icon).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The reason it is needed is many seniors are not computer knowledgeable and need a simple way of getting online. Since I can not be there 24/7 I thought I would make it simple.

Bruce, the desktop icon with "RunDll32.exe van.dll,RunVAN" looks like a good way of accomplishing the task.

Thanks to all,
    Richard Spring

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't know what "RunDll32.exe van.dll,RunVAN" did, so I opened a command window, and tried it. It pops up the Open Network and Sharing Center.

I can get the same Open Network and Sharing Center popup by clicking on the Network icon in the notification area of the Taskbar.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Prescott:

This is true, but try explaining to twenty seniors what is the taskbar and which very small icon will Open Network.

I objective is to provide a LARGE button (icon) on the desktop that will be labeled OPEN WIFI.

Now experimenting with a program called "Easy Marco Recorder" to see if I could have the button not only open, but chose their network, and have the focus on a textbox to enter the monthly password. Just trying to make life a little easier for computer novices.
    Richard Spring

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think you could be under estimating them - just show them how it's done.

If they are sufficiently compos mentis to operate a computer then I'm sure they could manage to click on the Wifi icon, click on the SSID, select Connect and then enter the new password at the prompt and remind them that it is case sensitive.

If some have memory problems then print out the instructions in large print on a sheet of A3 and pin it up somewhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Richard,

One thing to consider is that if you are teaching them how to use the computer hiding things from them is not going to help when they get home and have to logon on their own. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-13)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I agree many of them catch on very quickly. However, I only teach class for 1 1/2 hours twice a week.
    I notice the four computers standing idle and unused other times I am in the facility.

A desktop icon opening the WiFi connect would be helpful.
    Will try it and let you know if I see any increased usage. My goal is to provide them with the tools to enjoy their experience.
    Richard Spring

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So the password has nothing to do with the wifi network. Your PCs should automatically connect to them once booting up.

You are simply password protecting each workstation? You can always bring back the Win2000 login screen even in Win10 via a registry change.
    win2000pro.png

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    So the password has nothing to do with the wifi network. Your PCs should automatically connect to them once booting up.
    It's the wi-fi password which is being changed each month.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    You are simply password protecting each workstation? You can always bring back the Win2000 login screen even in Win10 via a registry change.
    What's the advantage of the Win2000 login screen (even if it was relevant)?