Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Have internet connection but some apps say they cannot connect to update server

I have an issue that I do not understand and cannot seem to find a fix. I have a good internet connection, can access my email, gcal, surf the web,etc. But I have several apps that when needing to access the internet for updates give me an error saying they cannot connect to there update server or no internet connection. Some of these apps are Malwarebytes, Avast and Filehippo app manager. I have run scans with Malwarebytes. MSE, Windows Security Scan, Adware and a couple of other virus scans. Everything comes up clean. I have a direct connection to the internet via ATT Uverse. I have checked all the settings I can think of to ensure that no proxy setting exist. Had my son look at things as he is more tech savy than I. He tried several ipconfig things [hope I get these right] release and renew, reset the winsock and ip stack. Have restored the oldest system restore point that I have and nothing helps. I have 2 other pc's that work fine.
    The troubled machine is a Dell Latitude laptop running Win7 Pro with SP1. All Win7 updates have been applied. I do not have the Win7 install dvd to reinstall Windows.
    Hope someone can help with this issue. One other question -- if I can't get this fixed, would you think that installing Win10 would clear this up since it is laying down a whole new Windows system?
    Tks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    LDM,

Welcome to the lounge as a new poster.

I've experienced this problem with Malwarebytes Pro a few times. Sometimes it tells me it can't start Malwarebytes. What I do in this situation is to manually start Malwarebytes and click the update button and so far, knock on wood, it seems to fix the problem. My guess is that their servers are just temporally overloaded and the software doesn't know how to act when it can call home successfully.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I have tried the update button probably 30 times in the past 3 days. Same error message.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did your son try changing the DNS servers in the laptop.

If he didn't then try this.

Go Start - type ncpa.cpl - press enter then right click on whichever adapter you are using - Ethernet or wireless and select Properties.

Click on (TCP/IPv4) then on Properties.

Click on the lower DNS button and in the top row of boxes type 8.8.8.8 and in the lower row, 8.8.4.4

Check the box to Validate settings upon exit - OK - Close and if the Troubleshooter says it can't find anything wrong, then you are usually good to go.

While you can run Avast Free alongside most other AV programs, it's generally best to just run one as you can end up with anomalous problems and it could actually be MSE that's causing the problem by blocking.

Booting up into Safe Mode with Networking by tapping F8 as you switch on and selecting that option will isolate all 3rd party programs and AV programs, so that you could see if MBAM and the FileHippo app Manager can connect then.

I would try this before changing the DNS servers.

Of the two AV programs, I would lose MSE and keep Avast Free, but the choice is yours.

Personally if I were going to use a free AV program, I would opt for the free version of Comodo which I've seen personally recommended.

However, whichever you choose to do, ensure that you use the AV Uninstaller to get rid of one or both as registry residue can still cause a conflict.

https://www.avast.com/en-gb/uninstall-utility

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2483120

And if you want to give it a try.... https://antivirus.comodo.com/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you connect to the update server manually - via your browser?
    Open this file in Notepad, it should contain no / very few entries. C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks

dns servers

Thanks for replying ---
    Yes, we did as you suggested - used the google dns and got the same results.
    I also tried your suggestion and tried connection via safe mode. still no connection.
    I was not running 2 av's at the same time. I uninstalled Avast when I first saw the errors and intended to reinstall thinking it had a problem. Couldn"t since it installs from the internet. So then I install MSE simply to do a scan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Did your son try changing the DNS servers in the laptop.

If he didn't then try this.

Go Start - type ncpa.cpl - press enter then right click on whichever adapter you are using - Ethernet or wireless and select Properties.

Click on (TCP/IPv4) then on Properties.

Click on the lower DNS button and in the top row of boxes type 8.8.8.8 and in the lower row, 8.8.4.4

Check the box to Validate settings upon exit - OK - Close and if the Troubleshooter says it can't find anything wrong, then you are usually good to go.

While you can run Avast Free alongside most other AV programs, it's generally best to just run one as you can end up with anomalous problems and it could actually be MSE that's causing the problem by blocking.

Booting up into Safe Mode with Networking by tapping F8 as you switch on and selecting that option will isolate all 3rd party programs and AV programs, so that you could see if MBAM and the FileHippo app Manager can connect then.

I would try this before changing the DNS servers.

Of the two AV programs, I would lose MSE and keep Avast Free, but the choice is yours.

Personally if I were going to use a free AV program, I would opt for the free version of Comodo which I've seen personally recommended.

However, whichever you choose to do, ensure that you use the AV Uninstaller to get rid of one or both as registry residue can still cause a conflict.

https://www.avast.com/en-gb/uninstall-utility

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2483120

And if you want to give it a try.... https://antivirus.comodo.com/

Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked the host file. One entry -- 127.0.0.1 Local Host

I can connect to Avast.com, Malwarebytes.com with no problems. Don't know the url for their update servers.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As you can connect to everywhere else and especially in Safe Mode with Networking, it would suggest the fault was with their servers.

Lounger
    Thanks
    As you can connect to everywhere else and especially in Safe Mode with Networking, it would suggest the fault was with their servers.
    I would like to think that the case but I have 2 other Win7 pc's that are not have the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    From what has already been done, that for me would only leave the network adapter drivers.

Have you checked for any updates for them ?

Not sure if Event Viewer would have anything on this as all else seems to be working.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows says that the wireless network adapter driver is up to date.

I do not see anything in the event viewer that appears related.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows never has the latest network drivers.

Go into Device Manager/Network adapters - make a note of the wireless adapter then go to the vendor's site and check the date of its latest offering.

Just a thought, have you tried disabling the wireless adapter in Device Manager, wire up to the router and then see if the programs still fail to connect ?

Thanks
    I had the same problem with Malwarebytes (Free) when I went to update and then run a scan. It wouldn't connect to the server from a limited user account unless I right clicked on the program and clicked 'Run as Administrator'. Hope this helps.
    Regards,

NotQuite, Not So Damp In Lotus Land

Lounger
    Thanks

Go into Device Manager/Network adapters - make a note of the wireless adapter then go to the vendor's site and check the date of its latest offering.

Just a thought, have you tried disabling the wireless adapter in Device Manager, wire up to the router and then see if the programs still fail to connect ?
    Checked Dell website and I have the latest driver. Also tried your thought on disabling the wireless adapter and hard wired to the router. Still no joy. Pls keep ideas coming.

Lounger
    Thanks

I am logged in as admin

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast