Thanks

Can't Move two .pst files in Outlook 2010

I have Office 2010 and I have two IMAP accounts setup in Outlook. The default .pst file location is C:\users\bbearren\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. I want to move both .pst files to another folder on another HDD. I can successfully move one file or the other. Whichever file I move first stays put, but when I try to move the other, it simply rebuilds itself in the default location and adds a number to the file name, "...bbearren.pst (2)".

I've tried this a couple of times with first one file then the other, but get the same results either way. I've used the ForcePSTPath registry key, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. Any suggestions?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've only seen similar a couple of times and the two accounts used slightly different names from each other, i.e. joeblow@imap.com and joeblow2@imap.com, which created 2 different .pst files. Changing identity may play a role in the process. Part of the issue of the Folder is that it can't hold 2 or more files with the same exact name hence the (2) appendage.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I've only seen similar a couple of times and the two accounts used slightly different names from each other, i.e. joeblow@imap.com and joeblow2@imap.com, which created 2 different .pst files. Changing identity may play a role in the process. Part of the issue of the Folder is that it can't hold 2 or more files with the same exact name hence the (2) appendage.
    The names and email addresses are different on the two accounts.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    What method are you using to move the files?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    What method are you using to move the files?
    I've tried this: "If you are using an IMAP account in Outlook 2010 or previous and have the opportunity to re-download all your mail again, then using the ForcePSTPath Registry value is the recommended way to go.

This Registry key allows you to set the default location for all newly created pst-files.

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\<versi on>\Outlook
    Value name: ForcePSTPath
    Value type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Value: path to your storage folder

As the Value you give the path to the folder where you want to keep your pst-files. You do not need to use quotes for this path, even if it contains spaces.
    Example; D:\Documents\Outlook Files" from this link.

I've also tried making one or the other IMAP file (whichever one couldn't be moved) the default, then closing Outlook, moving the file, and then reopen Outlook. Instead of asking me to locate the file, Outlook just rebuilds it where it was previously, and adds a number to the file name. I get the same results whether I go though Outlook or use Control Panel > Mail.

They are both IMAP email accounts, with different names and email addresses. I've also tried it with reboots in between. One or the other file will stay (be re-created) in "C:\users\bbearren\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook "

Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you using 14.0 for the version in the registry entry?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Are you using 14.0 for the version in the registry entry?

Joe
    Yes, I am. I checked about 3 different Outlook help blogs/sites on the ForcePSTPath instructions and they were all basically the same on the technical stuff, just editorial differences.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    @ bbearren

I seem to remember helping customers with PST files, probably mostly after they upgraded to a newer version of Office. However, at least twice I managed to move the PST files by the following:

1. When Outlook is not running copy the PST files to a location where they will be backed up (e.g.: C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Outlook Files).

2. Open Outlook, go to the settings or options dialog for each of your email accounts and for each data file change the path/location to wherever you copied the PST files.

3. Restart Outlook and check the path/location in settings/options. Provided the new paths/locations are shown then you should be able to delete the old PST files w/o problem (if desired).

I also seem to remember seeing that Outlook 2013 (can't remember for sure but maybe 2010 too) was storing the PST files at C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Outlook Files by default (but that might not be the case for users who upgrade from an earlier version).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks