2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alphabetical Sorting in VBA

I want to sort alphabetically only from first empty cell in [F] to [W47]. This is what I tried so far with no luck

Code:
        '...................................................................
        If Target.Column = [k1].Column Then                                 'Qty changed..
        '...................................................................

iName = Target.Offset(0, -1)
            LID = Target.Offset(0, 4)                                       'LID = 3
            Call FindAccount(LID)

Application.EnableEvents = False
            '.............................'
            'Update item Qty on Accounts..'
            '.............................'
            With ActiveSheet
                For I = 3 To 47 Step 1                              'Check every 24 steps down, starting at 2
                    If .Cells(I, "F") = "" Then Exit Sub            'Exit at the first empty cell
                    If .Cells(I, "F") = iName Then                  'Check for match of Item name
                        .Cells(I, "G") = Target                     'Update Qty
                        '-----------------------------------
                        If .Cells(I, "G") = "0" Then                'Item Name cell in column F is empty so..
                            Application.EnableEvents = False
                            Temp = "F" & I & ":K" & I               'e.g. temp="F23:K23"
                            .Range(Temp).ClearContents   'clear Temp
                            Dim lStartRow As Long                   'sort the tab alphabetically from the deleted row to the end..
                            Dim lEndRow   As Long
                            lStartRow = I - 1

[Error: Short Method of Range Class Failed]
                            '.Range("F" & lStartRow & ":W47").Sort key1:=["F" & lStartRow], Header:=xlYes, Order1:=xlAscending

[Error: The sort reference is not valid. Make sure that it's within the data you want to sort, and the first Sort By box isn't the same or blank.]
                            '.Range("F" & lStartRow & ":W47").Sort key1:=[F2], Header:=xlYes, Order1:=xlAscending

Exit Sub
    Any thoughts on why this won't work? Here is a screenshot of what the sheet looks like when the alphabetical sorting is initiated.

Sample.jpg

Thanks for looking...
    Ferenc
    Last edited by Ferenc Nagy; 2015-07-24 at 14:32.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    and the solution was:

Code:
    .Range("F" & lStartRow & ":W47").Sort key1:=.Range("F" & lStartRow & W47), Header:=xlYes, Order1:=xlAscending

Thanks
    Ferenc

You need to take your sort snippet out of the "I" loop otherwise, you will be sorting unnecessarily within each loop.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudibe View Post
    Ferenc

You need to take your sort snippet out of the "I" loop otherwise, you will be sorting unnecessarily within each loop.

The sorting is withing an If Statement, so only happens if the Qty that was just updated, happens to be Zero... otherwise it exits the loop... Just didn't include the end in the snippet here.

Thanks
    and the solution was:

Code:
    .Range("F" & lStartRow & ":W47").Sort key1:=.Range("F" & lStartRow & W47 ),Header:=xlYes, Order1:=xlAscending
    Ferenc,

Not sure how your solution could possibly work. (In blue) You are missing the colon and quotes and also your key should be a column range not the entire range of the sort. You are sure to receive a Range and sort error here.

I would think...

.Range("F" & lStartRow & ":W47").Sort key1:=.Range("F" & lStartRow & ":F47" ),Header:=xlYes, Order1:=xlAscending

...or am I missing something?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudibe View Post
    Ferenc,

Not sure how your solution could possibly work. (In blue) You are missing the colon and quotes and also your key should be a column range not the entire range of the sort. You are sure to receive a Range and sort error here.

I would think...

.Range("F" & lStartRow & ":W47").Sort key1:=.Range("F" & lStartRow & ":F47" ),Header:=xlYes, Order1:=xlAscending

...or am I missing something?

You are exactly right. I wrote it correctly in the first half of the line and wrong after. I figured this out and fixed it right away, just forgot to come back here and correct it.