2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to know if a driver is deleted

Yeh pretty stupid title but that is where I am at.
    Initially I went into Control Panel > Sound > Headphones > Properties > General and was quite content that they were "working properly".
    But when I examined Events tab then "HOLY MOLy" it said the device had been deleted on Sept 9th of last year.
    OK I can believe that cuz I get no audio and when I ran the TESTs got nothing but silence.
    Fiddled about and set Headphones to ready and not plugged in and speakers to enabled. Get audio so must be happy -wait a minute.
    I see the speakers are using the same driver (6.3.9600.16384) as the headphones. So I must not need to replace the headphones driver.
    So replacing the driver is not the issue.
    The deleted driver (if it was) is:
    Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_1179FA20& REV_1001\4&2DFD6C82&0&0001 was deleted.
    Class Guid: {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    How/Where do I got to get it back OR! was it really deleted?
    Horribly confused as usual. Is it the driver or device that is missing? HELP please and thans.
    BTW it does recognize when I plug in the headphones; shows "plugged in".
    Last edited by spark55; 2015-07-25 at 03:28.

Thanks
    Reinstall your audio driver and boot the computer.
    Device manager may or maynot flag it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spark55 View Post
    ...HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269...
    Seems to be "Realtek HD Audio" driver.

Download and install it from: http://www.realtek.com.tw/
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to know if a driver is deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Seems to be "Realtek HD Audio" driver.

Download and install it from: http://www.realtek.com.tw/
    At the risk of being contrary did U all notice that the driver is the same for both the Speakers and Headphones under properties for both and that the message is that it was a device (not a driver) that was deleted? Hence, why replace a driver that the system says is "working properly"?
    See why I am confused?

I followed the driver thinking too until I (and a friend also) got different drivers showing up at different times (within a 15 min). Then I noted the message was that a device was deleted not a driver. The Device was what I listed at the bottom of my last post. I am not even sure Toshiba soldered in the headphone jack at this point (I know the system responds to plugging them in).

Thanks
    It looks like a settings issue; easy to type, could take hours to find which setting(s) and how to fix them.

Dig through this (W7) topic to find some clues/fixes: http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-aud...ts-fix-18.html

Start at the oldest to get a grip of it, try jumping to #115 and #171 later.

Thanks
    @ sparks55

Check your settings in Control Panel\Sound

Last week I helped a customer whose headphones had stopped working when plugged in (Win7 laptop). When I checked the Sound dialog there were entries for both "speakers" and "headphones". In the Headphones Properties dialog "Device usage" was set to "Don't use this device (disable)". After I changed the setting to "Use this device (enable)" the headphones worked again.

CPL_Sound.jpg

The screenshot is of the Sound dialogs on my Win7 PC, which does not have "Headphones" listed, even when headphones are connected.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Probed further and found:
    http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Audio-S...io/td-p/610949
    With a problem EXACTLY like mine down to the driver 6.1.9600.16384 which there and in the properties is claimed to be a Microsoft driver. There was an issue raised there about always use Toshiba drivers (again what is the device that was deleted vs driver confliction). I checked my history of Windows updates and found a Defender KB2267602(Definition 1.183.1310.0) was installed on the day of the deletion. I saw no installs except for Defender thru 9/8/2014. This leads me to think the driver must be OK as it works for the speakers and is shown for the headphones. Problem is no sound out of headphones when it shows headphones connected. Headphones are OK.
    I looked as best I could for events in events list (not the log) but only see the one event for "device" (not driver) deletion which is listed in the headphones event tab under Sound.
    I had already set the Headphones and speakers up to function appropriately, both are enabled but when headphones NOT plugged in the General tab description is "working properly" and next to the headphone symbol it says "ready" when headphones plugged in but "not plugged in" when they are not.
    From all of this I deduce the headphones are configured correctly, have a driver (M$ 6.1.9600.16384), the device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_1179FA20& ... (whatever that is) was deleted and is consequently preventing sound from exiting via the headphones. Would you concur? If so do you know what the device is?
    Last point, I set the headphones to the default "device" and the Speakers go ready if the Headphones are plugged in and are checked.
    If I unplug, the Headphones go ready and the Speakers become default device and are checked (green).
    Last edited by spark55; 2015-07-26 at 01:43.

Thanks
    @ spark55

Have worked on many customers' systems that had "Realtek HD Audio" driver installed from M$ Windows Update that were misbehaving.

Install the latest driver from Realtek (link in my #3 post), then check your Control Panel\Sound settings re your headphones.

As noted in many other WSL threads driver updates from Windows Update often cause more problems than they solve.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spark55 View Post
    Yeh pretty stupid title but that is where I am at.
    Initially I went into Control Panel > Sound > Headphones > Properties > General and was quite content that they were "working properly".
    But when I examined Events tab then "HOLY MOLy" it said the device had been deleted on Sept 9th of last year.
    OK I can believe that cuz I get no audio and when I ran the TESTs got nothing but silence.
    Fiddled about and set Headphones to ready and not plugged in and speakers to enabled. Get audio so must be happy -wait a minute.
    I see the speakers are using the same driver (6.3.9600.16384) as the headphones. So I must not need to replace the headphones driver.
    So replacing the driver is not the issue.
    The deleted driver (if it was) is:
    Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_1179FA20& REV_1001\4&2DFD6C82&0&0001 was deleted.
    Class Guid: {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    How/Where do I got to get it back OR! was it really deleted?
    Horribly confused as usual. Is it the driver or device that is missing? HELP please and thans.
    BTW it does recognize when I plug in the headphones; shows "plugged in".
    This link may help.http://www.driverassist.com/lp/aw/?B...FdclvQodKJIMhA Maybe its a Corrupt driver.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    This link may help...Maybe its a Corrupt driver.
    Actually I would avoid "driverassist" or "DriverUpdate" or "DriverPro" etc. websites unless you want to play "Russian Roulette" with updating your drivers.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

satrow (2015-07-26),spark55 (2015-07-26)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's the same as mine which I get from http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...&GetDown=false

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK folks a big thanks to all first cuz I know U all had to spend time to get that info.
    Just to review here is what I know and don 't know:
    1) driver for both the speakers and headphones(HP) is: 6.1.9600.16384
    is was NOT removed.
    That driver is used for both speakers and HP. This is shown in the reference of post #7 so is presumed to be Toshiba /purchase installed.
    2) a device is shown to have been removed (see post #1)
    3) I have no idea what device (hardware) was remove/disassociated from the system.
    4) I have had two RealTek drivers since before post #1, but have no idea from my searching as to which directory I should be in to install the driver IF I even do. I am very concerned with RealTek flopping between 2 different drivers at different times and the system has not shown that the current driver is a problem (e.g. it works for the speakers and other identical systems).
    5) Like Coochin said updates screw with drivers a lot. I did not find any driver updates when I looked thru update history. And per the reference in post #7, it seems that is the delivered driver.
    I appreciate the suggestions to change the driver but have not been given justification other than "it usually works".
    I really appreciate how U all have tried to help but do U now see where I am coming from with volatile info, contrary system messages, etc.
    If I were to change a driver I have no info as to where it goes or even if it magically knows when I click the .exe.
    If it don't work how do I get the old one back to let the speakers work.

I would still like to find out what that device is in post #1.