Thanks

One Drive Has Come Un-glued

When I initially setup OneDrive in one of the earlier previews, I connected it to a physical folder in my data partition. That folder is still in place, and still contains folders with pictures and files from the original sync. However, in 10240 when I click on OneDrive from the tray, it says it's up-to-date, but when I open it, I'm opening a "folder", and within that folder my initial folders from my setup are there, but they're empty. The "folder" is not connected in any way to my actual OneDrive folder in my data partition.

And I haven't found a way to re-connect the two, or how to re-configure OneDrive from scratch. As it is now, it's a completely useless phantom folder.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Right click OneDrive in Taskbar > Settings > Unlink > Then launch OneDrive again and you'll be able to pick a new location.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Right click OneDrive in Taskbar > Settings > Unlink > Then launch OneDrive again and you'll be able to pick a new location.
    That reconnected OneDrive to the folder on my data partition, and now it's uploading the files that it had previously downloaded from OneDrive. I know this to be the case, because the files are mostly photos from my phone, which were synced through OneDrive. My phone has never been connected to my Windows 10 PC in any way. I still have no idea what happened to my OneDrive folder in "the cloud". My subfolders were there, but no files.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    That reconnected OneDrive to the folder on my data partition, and now it's uploading the files that it had previously downloaded from OneDrive. I know this to be the case, because the files are mostly photos from my phone, which were synced through OneDrive. My phone has never been connected to my Windows 10 PC in any way. I still have no idea what happened to my OneDrive folder in "the cloud". My subfolders were there, but no files.
    When you choose what to sync you need to check the box which says individual files.

Thanks
    When you choose what to sync you need to check the box which says individual files.
    That's not the point. The files were "in the cloud" in OneDrive as well as in my OneDrive folder in my data partition. After the upgrade to 10240 I only had empty folders (which I had previously setup) in both places (with another OneDrive folder on my PC in the wrong place), with OneDrive reporting that it was up to date. Which technically, it was, since the folders in both places were empty.

Now that I've got OneDrive linked back to the correct folder in my data partition (thanks to your tip), those files that have been in those folders since the beginning are now being uploaded (I made no changes in "what to sync") to "the cloud". Currently 1,707 files left of 6.7GB total to upload.

In other words, they were gone from OneDrive "in the cloud". That doesn't seem to be a very reliable backup for my files, IMO. OK for sharing files, maybe, but definitely not something in which I'm going to place much faith.

My hunch here is that the 10240 upgrade somehow ignored my OneDrive folder that had been previously setup, created a OneDrive folder in my user account, and then proceeded to sync that folder with the OneDrive folder "in the cloud" and emptied that one, too.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I always keep my Onedrive folder on another hard drive. When it sets up on a new Windows install, it always has an option to change to a new location. I do this. I also choose what folders I want synced. I have never had an issue.

Thanks
    I always keep my Onedrive folder on another hard drive. When it sets up on a new Windows install, it always has an option to change to a new location. I do this. I also choose what folders I want synced. I have never had an issue.
    My OneDrive folder is on another drive; I thought I was clear on that. Throughout the various preview upgrades, my OneDrive was evidently recognized as already installed and rolled into the upgrade as-is at least up until 10059, which upgraded on 6-30-15. The latest file in my OneDrive folder on my data partition on my separate drive in my PC is 7-3-15.

At some point after that (10159 & 10162 came after that and before 10240) my OneDrive sync came un-glued. At no time in any of the installations was OneDrive requiring a re-setup. Whenever I happened to notice it in the tray it was showing up-to-date. I never got a notification that OneDrive needed attention. True, these have all been beta builds, so who knows what might have happened.

So up until now, I never had an issue, either. And then I did. I'm just saying that it might be worthwhile for those who are using OneDrive in Windows 10 TH1 10240 to give it a look, see if everything is as it should be and as it is expected to be. Mine wasn't.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-07-26 at 15:23. Reason: corrected build #'s

Unleash Windows