2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File History Problem

I have accidently deleted all songs in my iTunes. I attempted to use File History to restore them. Theses are the pop up messages I received:
    history 001.JPG
    history 002.JPG

I have told File History to use an external hard drive, which it appears to be doing.
    Why am I getting the above message? Any help would be appreciated.

Also can anybody help with a suggestion as to how I can recover the deleted songs referred to above?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That message is saying you don't have any backups because you are using encryption on your internal hard disk but the external disk is incorrectly formatted to store the encrypted files. You either need to re-format the external drive as NFTS or use one of the free 3rd party backup programs. I prefer a 3rd party backup as it's more flexible than Windows backup.

If you are lucky your music will be in the recycle bin.

cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2015-07-27 at 10:29.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    That message is saying you don't have any backups because you are using encryption on your internal hard disk but the external disk is incorrectly formatted to store the accept encrypted files. You either need to re-format the external drive as NFTS or use one of the free 3rd party backup programs. I prefer a 3rd party backup as it's more flexible than Windows backup.

If you are lucky your music will be in the recycle bin.

cheers, Paul
    Curious to know how you determined this, as the pop up message doesn't mention encrption, in fact its not at all informative to non-techies.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Curious to know how you determined this, as the pop up message doesn't mention encrption, in fact its not at all informative to non-techies.
    See the second attached image, not the first.

Thanks
    Maybe the file history hasn't backed it up because itunes is on a network location, but if it was deleted from the PC the Recycle Bin is hope full. I get that File History message at the back up stage not restore stage. My File History is on my external I Drive. That message (915 gb free of 931 gb) says there is 16 GBs of files in File History so go to your I Drive and look for it there. Find File History on I Drive and double tap your way through the folder hierarchy...File History/Your User name/Your PC name/Data/C:/Users/Your user name(again)/Desktop(assuming you had any files on your desktop that you baked up). Hope you find them.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-07-28 at 07:36.

Thanks
    Note that using File Explorer as KIWpeteW suggests means that the files will have a date time added as a suffix, so you will have to go through removing that - but at least (if they're there) it's better than nothing.

I suppose the moral of this is: always check your backups are working. I do with File History and did find a problem, but it fixed itself while I was investigating the problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    See the second attached image, not the first.
    Sorry. Never noticed that the bottom part of the message had to be clicked separately. Susoect the OP didn't either.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Sorry. Never noticed that the bottom part of the message had to be clicked separately. Susoect the OP didn't either.
    He attached them separately, and referred to messages.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul T: I have reformatted the disk making sure NFTS is applied - still no luck when I ran File History. There must be something on my PC/System stopping File History transferring data to the external HD. I think I might try a free 3rd party back up program; can you recommend one please?
    RE iTunes songs - I used iTunes to import my "Music" folder (which contained a folder named "iTunes") and luckily this did the trick, retrieving all the "missing" songs. This was because I had turned on the save iTunes library each time I exited iTunes - it worked for me this time.
    Thanks again
    Casso
    PS: According to all my checks the external HD is working properly, I renamed it and that worked also. When I ran File History it showed the date and time I did so and the File History Folder(s) was created on the disk; however, the data folder was empty. It's a mystery to me.
    Last edited by casso; 2015-07-30 at 23:30.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you checked the event logs?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I had a look at them today - the last was on 27 July 2015. Nothing there to help.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks