Star Lounger
    Thanks

Malwarebytes problem with Kaspersky Internet Suite

I have seen many messages in this forum suggesting that Malawarebytes is one of the few antivirus programs that plays well with others. Consequently, I have been running Malawarebytes Pro with realtime checking along with Kaspersky KIS 2015 for many months with no issues. Today, however, the first time I booted my computer today I had severe problems with the machine locking up during the boot process when all the startup programs are loading. I could not even get the Task Manager to start. After several hours of help from Dell Pro Support (very good tech), we traced the problem to KIS 15.0.2.361. I also installed Windows Update KB3079904 late yesterday, and I don't know if that had anything to do with triggering the problems today. We finally got my Windows 7 x64 laptop working again by reverting to KIS 5.0.1.415 which I fortunately had saved from about a year ago. Interestingly, after all this my Firefox 39.0 starting rejecting every security certificate, even from sites including Google. I solved that by deleting the cer8.db file in the profile.

I filed a ticket with Kaspersky to see what they say. I got back a response that I must remove the following incompatible software: Malawarebytes and EMBASSY Client core (I cannot see any evidence of that later one, and I don't know what it is.) They also wanted me to complete the Disk Cleanup with all options checked, and to reset my browser. I don't know if perhaps something in the new version of KIS conflicts with Malawarebytes, or if Kaspersky is just giving me general instructions to clean up almost everything and hope it solves the problem. It seems pretty drastic. Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has noticed issues with Kaspersky recent versions and Malawarebytes? Or perhaps with Kaspersky and KB3079904 (I did not try removing that update.)?

Thanks
    I would ask on the Malwarebytes forum next.

Thanks
    Have you deeply checked settings/configurations within both products to see if there are any over-lapping functions? I've never used KIS, so I do not know what they name their numerous functions, modules, etc.
    For example, MBAM pro has two major shields: web & malware. Does KIS have any similar shields active? Web surfing protection? Malware shielding for on-harddrive programs, utilities, data files, etc? Also, is one or both of them set to "assertive/agressive" mode?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    KB3079904 has been causing a number of problems for some, so see if your previous set up works with that uninstalled.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e8a59d7?auth=1

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had some problems running KIS 2015 with Malwarebytes Pro causing short intermittent lockups (only for a couple of seconds at a time) but nothing as severe as described in the OP.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just an update. I did create a post in the Malawarebytes Forum. The forum leader said there have been no reports of problems with interactions between Kaspersky and Malawarebytes. As far as they know, it is fine to run both with realtime checking. They do recommend posting exclusions for the active processes of each other so one does not check the other. However, he did mention that Malawarebytes had some type of database problem over the weekend that caused problems with Windows Vista and XP but not Windows 7. Since I had been running the same version of both Malawarebytes and Kaspersky for about a month with no issues, I suspect that the Malawarebytes database issue might have interfered with that latest version of Kaspersky to trigger my issues. It must be a rare interaction since I corrected the problems by reinstalling an earlier version of Kaspersky. I don't want to take time right now to update KIS and try to see if it works OK. I will wait a few weeks probably and try again. So it is probably OK to run both KIS 2015 and Malawarebytes, although it seems there are risks that small changes in either program could start causing issues.

I suspect my browser certificate problem came from KB3079904. I had installed that based on the mention in the Windows Secrets newsletter last week. However, in the future I think I will wait until Susan tests the updates as I usually do. Since I have corrected that issue and not seen any other issues, I will probably leave KB3079904 installed for now.

Thanks again for the help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Pro version is an monitoring antivirus app as well. I would be hesitant to be running two monitoring AVs at the same time. The free version (and original) was an malware removal tool. Pro added some things including realtime AV.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    The Pro version is an monitoring antivirus app as well. I would be hesitant to be running two monitoring AVs at the same time. The free version (and original) was an malware removal tool. Pro added some things including realtime AV.
    I don't believe that the pro version, while it does do some monitoring, is a true AV app. I've run Malwarebytes Pro with a couple of different AVs active with no issues.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's two active firewalls that causes the problem as you can run the free version of Avast (which doesn't have its own firewall) with most other AV programs, but I've always been wary of running any other Pro whatever with my Norton 360 - besides, I don't believe in spending money on a Pro version of anything when the freebie does what I want it to

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Have you deeply checked settings/configurations within both products to see if there are any over-lapping functions? I've never used KIS, so I do not know what they name their numerous functions, modules, etc.
    For example, MBAM pro has two major shields: web & malware. Does KIS have any similar shields active? Web surfing protection? Malware shielding for on-harddrive programs, utilities, data files, etc? Also, is one or both of them set to "assertive/agressive" mode?
    McAfee Live Safe disabled Malicious Website Protection in my MBAM Pro.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDetroit View Post
    McAfee Live Safe disabled Malicious Website Protection in my MBAM Pro.
    Malicious Website Protection is updated almost every day, I'd guess that whatever McAfee uses as an equivalent feature is way behind that, possibly by months.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just an update. Following some advice from the Malwarebytes forum, I did a clean install of Kaspersky KIS 2015 15.0.2.361, the latest 2015 version and the same one I had the problems with, as well as Malwarebytes 2.1.8.1057 (latest). I am having no issues now with both running together in real time. This time I did create exclusions in each program for the other's executable files just to be safe. The Malwarebytes forum has specific instructions for the exclusions if anyone needs them.

I also learned that Malwarebytes is not intended as a primary antivirus program but rather an app that runs with other antivirus to catch some malware and zero day exploits that might be missed. So it is specifically designed to co-exist with other antivirus programs. When issues are noted, Malwarebytes will update their code. So it should be safe, and even useful, to run Malwarebytes with whatever antivirus is preferred. This is consistent with advice on this forum.