5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Permission Problem Moving File to New PC

I have been copying files from my old laptop (Vista) to my new laptop (Win8.1) and I have made good progress until now. I copied several whole folders, including my Excel folder, successfully. Then I made the mistake of editing the contents of one file on the old laptop instead of the new laptop so I tried just now to copy the edited file from the old laptop again. I am getting stopped with the message that I don't have permission to do that! I'm not sure what has changed or how to get past this problem.

Can someone please tell me how to get past this problem?

Thanks,
    Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you close the old Excel before trying the Move? The file may still be considered to be in use. What hardware are you using to move the files?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you pushing files from the old laptop to the new originally where you would have account permission and then subsequently trying to pull a file from the old laptop to the new where you would not have old laptop account permission?

If so that's normal and you'll have to change permissions on those old laptop folders to allow that sort of access; or what I do is copy all the files out of the account to a neutral place, like a NAS or public folder on another computer and then if I need to, copy them again back to the public folders on the old system, thereby removing permissions issues for those specific files without altering account permissions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton & F.U.N., when I got back to this problem again a little bit ago I rebooted the old laptop and then the copying process worked fine! I had closed Excel before trying it the first time but that apparently didn't free it up completely.

Thanks,
    Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Windows and Office sometimes likes to hold things back and, unlike most of us, tend to remember and bring them forth at inopportune times.