Thanks

Think hard about getting W 10 right away

With MS being "Bound & Determined" to shove WU down everyone's throat, there are going to be some teething pains.
    The NVIDIA problem will hold me back on my main computer since I have GeForce Experience. The "Control Panel" issue will hold me back on any of my other computers. As Woody said, there have been at least 40 bad patches in the last couple years, hopefully thing will get resolved at MS.
    "Windows 10 Automatic Updates Causing Serious New Problems"
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...rity-problems/

Well here comes trouble. With just two days to go before release Windows 10’s controversial automatic update system has struck again and this time it is arguably even more serious…

Following the Nvidia debacle, over the weekend Windows 10 pushed ‘KB3074681’ to Windows Insiders running Windows 10 Build 10240. This is presumed to be the same build as the final release consumers and businesses will receive on Wednesday.

KB3074681 had no detailed information about what it contained but as it was classified as a ‘security’ patch it installed immediately and without warning to all versions of Windows 10 (Home, Pro and Enterprise) then promptly caused Windows Explorer to crash for a number of users.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

judithmc (2015-07-28)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Nvidia driver issue was corrected with a new update yesterday (see the latest Insider Hub announcement).

Is the Control Panel issue you refer to either uninstalling a program or update with a double-click, or re-enabling a network adapter?

I think that may have been fixed by a subsequent update too, but if not there are simple workarounds in that article under The Temporary Fix heading.

Thanks
    The Nvidia driver issue was corrected with a new update yesterday (see the latest Insider Hub announcement).
    As I understand the "Fix", it allows you to uninstall the WU NVIDIA driver and then be able to stop the re-downloading of it ( at least for now ).

Is the Control Panel issue you refer to either uninstalling a program or update with a double-click, or re-enabling a network adapter?
    Yes there are "work-arounds" for it as stated in the article.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    As I understand the "Fix", it allows you to uninstall the WU NVIDIA driver and then be able to stop the re-downloading of it ( at least for now ).
    You didn't check the latest Insider Hub announcement, did you?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Running Win10 & have Nvidia GeForce GPU... absolutely no problems, @ all; and that includes after updates directly via Nvidia or via WU. Have thought hard about getting the Win10 GA right away & am excited about it. Looking forward to having the GA instead of a beta Build and getting Win10 on the SSD instead of a HDD.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The information posted by Microsoft yesterday on Insider Hub was:

Updated Nvidia graphics driver available on Windows Update
    This has been addressed and customers with Windows Update will receive the update. If you need to get the latest NVidia driver (version 353.62) immediately, the best way is to launch Windows Update and scan for the updated driver, and then reboot once the driver has been installed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2015-07-28)

Thanks
    You didn't check the latest Insider Hub announcement, did you?
    Nope, don't even know what that is.
    This morning I installed KB3068708, KB3065987, KB3035583, & KB2952664 on my laptop after cloning the HDD. That will be my test computer for Win 10. I noticed that the W10 icon hasn't shown up yet in the notification area of the win 7 pro laptop. Are there any settings that I have to change to get the icon for testing/reserving?
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2015-07-28 at 14:27.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Woody says the Control Panel issues have been fixed too:

Windows 10 patch KB 3074683 fixes Explorer crash caused by KB 3074681

Thanks
    I just reserved it for my HP laptop. On the compatibility report, the only thing that didn't pass was HP client security software. It has to be uninstalled, I assume that the win 10 install will do that.
    Anyway, I guess I will get to see what win 10 is like at some point.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Maybe, but, I'd recommend play it safe & uninstall it yourself before installing 10. But, aside from that, good news. When that point comes really feel you will enjoy what you see.

I plan to keep on as an Insider. But, am, also, looking forward to having the GA of Windows 10 (daily) on my SSD instead of 8.1 & instead of using Builds daily on the HDD. That will remain the location for Insider work.

Thanks
    I called HP tech and they said to just uninstall it before Win 10 and they will have an update for it later.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Cool, sounds good. Nice you got that info from them.