Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Does reserving Windows 10 require immediate installation when offered?

I've reserved my copy of Windows 10 on this PC, but I would strongly prefer NOT to let it install as soon as the update is available (presumably sometime tomorrow). I want to wait for at least a few days and let the early adopters report their experiences before making the commitment.

Will there be an option to download the update when it's available and then apply it at the time of my choosing?

--Larry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to larryc43230 For This Useful Post:

judithmc (2015-07-28)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The download will be automatic. The installation will be under your control:

What happens when I reserve?
    When you reserve, you can confirm your device is compatible with Windows 10. Between reservation and when your upgrade is ready, the files you need for the upgrade will be downloaded to your PC to make the final installation go more quickly. Then, when your upgrade is ready after July 29, 2015, you get a notification that lets you get started with your upgrade.

Windows 10 FAQ

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, BruceR. I'd read that before posting my question. What I wasn't sure of was the "notification that lets you get started with your upgrade" part. That could be read to mean a button that says "Install", where the window sits there until you click the button. My question is, will the "upgrade is ready" notification offer a way to indefinitely defer the actual upgrade until I'm ready?

Larry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

larryc43230 (2015-07-28)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Folks,

If you Reserve, that is for the Download of the Windows 10 installer. It does not self-install automatically. You have until 28/7/2016 to do an Upgrade install w/ it for free; can, still, do it after that but, not for free.

If one grabs the Win10 Installer DL later w/out Reserving, one, still, has until 28/7/2016 to take advantage of the free Upgrade offer.

Thanks
    Out of curiosity, does MS give you any warning that they are about to D/L 3.6 GB to your computer? At my connection speed, it will take a number of Hours so it would be nice to have a way to schedule it OR will they piecemeal it out over time?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Out of curiosity, does MS give you any warning that they are about to D/L 3.6 GB to your computer? At my connection speed, it will take a number of Hours so it would be nice to have a way to schedule it OR will they piecemeal it out over time?
    See: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Can I get my free Windows 10 upgrade even if I didn’t reserve?
    Yes. The easiest way to get the free upgrade is to reserve, but you can upgrade even if you don’t reserve.

Once Windows 10 is available, we’ll begin notifying devices that their free upgrade is available. Just open the Get Windows 10 app to schedule your upgrade. Note: Some notifications will go out as soon as Windows 10 is available; others may go out in the weeks or months following.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-07-28 at 21:27.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

judithmc (2015-07-28),lumpy95 (2015-07-28)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Will not be"piecemeal". Will start going to Insiders tomorrow. Then to Reserves. You will be notified once the DL is completed. Then you do the Upgrade install when you choose but by or before 28/7/16

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

judithmc (2015-07-28)