Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade Win 8.1 Home to Pro, or not.

Win 10 insists on patches being automatically installed as soon as issued, unless one installs the Pro version, or higher. This despite a history of poorly designed patches causing havoc on many computers.

Consequently, I have been looking at upgrading Win 8.1 to Pro. in the US that costs $99.99, but in the UK the usual rip-off of 99.99, i.e. 50% more than in the States.

Researching upgrades, I have found a few places adverting prices around 25 - 35, which are clearly counterfeits. One retailer, Moonboxsoftware.com is advertising it at a more reasonable 51.90, stating it was previously 89.90. It is possible that they have stock they wish to clear. This may well be the case, as there will not be many people willing to buy it next week, but, on the other hand, it may also be counterfeit, as one can never take retailer’s claims at face value.

100 is a lot of money to pay as insurance against MS cockups, especially as W10 Pro doesn’t appear to offer any advantage to me other than allowing patches to be installed later. They talk about Hyper V, but there are other VMs available free, and as for remote access, unless MS have changed their policy, that already exists. In recent years, after major problems with XP and Vista, MS have taken control of my PC, resolved the issue and reinstalled Windows. Admittedly, outside the guarantee period, this costs money.

In addition, I may never install W10, being convinced that after 12 months it will switch to being a rental system rather than a purchase. When, or if, this occurs I shall start learning Linux.

So, I am looking for guidance. Does any Lounger have experience of Moonboxsoftware, or is there some other advantage of the Pro version I have overlooked which might make paying 89.99 for a genuine upgrade from PC World worthwhile.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2015-07-28 at 13:01.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I don't know how you became convinced Microsoft is going to charge for Windows after 12 months as that is counter to every statement that Microsoft and independent reporters have published.

The Pro SKU has Group Policy editor which makes some Windows configurations changes available that aren't easily done in the Home SKU. For a more comprehensive list of differences see Compare Windows 10 Editions. Be sure to click on both the "Core" and "Business" buttons.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Seems like a waste of money at any price if you may never install Windows 10.

Home can only use Remote Desktop client. For connecting to the PC you need Remote Desktop host, only in Pro.

Wikipedia has a good Comparison chart of Windows 10 Editions. What's missing from Home is anything that's red in the first column.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-07-28 at 13:19.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See this blog entry What are the editions of Windows 10 available? which answers many basic questions about Windows 10.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Seems like a waste of money at any price if you may never install Windows 10.

Home can only use Remote Desktop client. For connecting to the PC you need Remote Desktop host, only in Pro.

Wikipedia has a good Comparison chart of Windows 10 Editions. What's missing from Home is anything that's red in the first column.
    IF is the key word in first sentence.
    Unable to understand sentence 2.
    Thanks for the chart, more detailed than any I've seen previously, but there doesn't appear to be anything of use to me, although much is beyond my understanding. Even that doesn't explain the difference, if any, between Client and Host in Remote Desktop.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2015-07-28 at 18:48.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    See this blog entry What are the editions of Windows 10 available? which answers many basic questions about Windows 10.

Joe
    Thanks Joe, I believe this is what I have seen before. Nothing there to interest me.

With regard to #2, it’s a matter of common sense. Bill Gates became one of the richest men in the world because of his returns from MS, and these didn’t come from giving the system away. Many, if not most people, bought Win 8 for $25, and now MS is giving away Win 10, and OEM versions are obviously sold at a large discount. If this continues, as promised, where is the cash coming from to pay all the MS employees, yet alone the share holders?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Unable to understand sentence 2.
    Even that doesn't explain the difference, if any, between Client and Host in Remote Desktop.
    If any?

Home client allows outgoing RDP connections to a remote Pro or server.

Pro host also allows incoming connections to its desktop.

(This is the same as Windows 7 and Windows 8 Home/Pro editions.)
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-07-28 at 19:25.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is only the upgrade for Win 7 Sp1 & Win 8.1 users that is free. With new PCs the cost of Windows will be buried in the cost of the PC as it always has. Enterprises do not get any free upgrade.

Microsoft has been weaning itself away from its dependence on Windows for a long time. Office has been larger in dollars than commercial Windows for quite a while. Take a close look at their financial reporting. They have quite a number of billion dollar plus products.

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Doncha love a good conspiracy theory.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    With regard to #2, it’s a matter of common sense. Bill Gates became one of the richest men in the world because of his returns from MS, and these didn’t come from giving the system away. Many, if not most people, bought Win 8 for $25, and now MS is giving away Win 10, and OEM versions are obviously sold at a large discount. If this continues, as promised, where is the cash coming from to pay all the MS employees, yet alone the share holders?
    One area which is likely to save MS money in the long run is to drastically reduce the number of versions they have to support. When it was XP, Vista, 7 (and 8?) they would have to have staff spending time supporting those OSs. If they only have to support Windows (10) then there would be (I suspect) big savings for them. After all, Apple only support their OSs for a relatively short time, and I believe that most Linux distros don't have support for much longer than that either. MS has supported XP for 15+ years (or thereabouts).

Just my 2p's worth

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Office has been larger in dollars than commercial Windows for quite a while. Joe
    That's a real surprise, but I'll take your word for it. No time for wading through annual reports unnecessarily.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Home client allows outgoing RDP connections to a remote Pro or server.

Pro host also allows incoming connections to its desktop.
    So MS have changed their policy, as I'm pretty sure they wouldn't allow me to log on to their server for assistance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So MS have changed their policy, as I'm pretty sure they wouldn't allow me to log on to their server for assistance.
    Microsoft have not changed their policy regarding Remote Desktop, which is still the same as it was on Windows XP (Pro edition required for RDP host/server).

I didn't mention anything about Microsoft servers.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you have the wrong idea about remote desktop George. It's if you have more than one computer, you can log into those other computers over your local network (mainly) and bring those "remote" desktops to one computer. I regularly work on several remote desktops from one system and each of those remote systems requires Pro or above, otherwise they don't support being logged into.

Teamviewer, UltraVNC and other programs do support remote login no matter what the OS version but I find Microsoft's remote desktop works the best on a local network.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2015-07-30)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the explanation. As you guessed, I had assumed that Remote Desktop meant what the name implies, i.e. connection to another PC in a different town or country, such as accessing one’s own PC whilst on holiday.

In fact, I had expected to do what you describe using Homegroup, and was disappointed not to be able to do so. This just about tips the balance in favour of getting the Pro version.

Many thanks
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast