2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lockdown WiFi choices

We have two wifi nets running. "One" has the printers, and the other ("Two") does not. So it's annoying if your PC connects to Two and you try to print. What makes it really bad is that when a print is requested the printers are offered even if the connected net is the one without printers. Since both nets get occasional glitches and power up in different orders from time to time, a pc can somewhat randomly connect to either - and putting them in a listed order does not work when a glitch happens on the 'higher' net. I don't wish to disable net Two or remove it's password from pc's since it is useful to have Two available as a limited backup. Ideally the system should request permission to change from one net to the other, or at least notify the user of a change. Any thought on how this may be managed?
    Last edited by petermat; 2015-07-28 at 17:07. Reason: Amplify

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What are the printers? I use an HP Officejet and an HP Laserjet, both have the Ethernet port and are plugged directly into my Router by CAT5 cable. Any computer I install the software on can access them whether the computers are connected by Ethernet cable or Wirelessly. I've found the printer built-in Wi-Fi to be not nearly as reliable.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    What are the printers? I use an HP Officejet and an HP Laserjet, both have the Ethernet port and are plugged directly into my Router by CAT5 cable. Any computer I install the software on can access them whether the computers are connected by Ethernet cable or Wirelessly. I've found the printer built-in Wi-Fi to be not nearly as reliable.
    Berton,
    This is nothing to do with ethernet connection vs WiFi connection. when I say there are two separate nets, I mean they are separate (and for good reasons). If a pc is connected - normally wirelessly but could be either way - to net Two it has no access to anything on net One. Think it's like my network and my neighbours network - that is not it of course, but illustrates the point. If you are connected to your neighbours net - don't expect to be able to print on your own printers!
    Last edited by petermat; 2015-07-28 at 18:58. Reason: clarification

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Do you normally connect to the network with the printers? Do you care about connecting to the other?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lockdown WiFi choices

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Do you normally connect to the network with the printers? Do you care about connecting to the other?

Joe
    Joe,
    The problem is the lack of user control over which wifi net is connected to. The user comes in, and boots up a pc. Which net are they connected to? If both were live at boot, then the top one in the list is connected to - which is fine. However if there is a glitch on the top listed net any time during the day - or it is not on at boot - the next available net is connected to automatically, without the user being aware. If the user is just browsing, or emailing, no problem. However if they try to print - maybe lucky, maybe not. However the 'printerless' net is deliberately there as a backup (for none print jobs) in case of loss of the printer net, so it cannot be deleted.

If, for example, the printers were shown as unavailable when a print was requested this would be acceptable. The user would be warned. As it is they can request umpteen print jobs with no indication they are black holing. Then when they do find out, all the work that went into working out what to print has to be repeated.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can set network priority, but it only works if the networks are already up.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...work-selection

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

petermat (2015-07-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You can set network priority, but it only works if the networks are already up.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...work-selection

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    Yes I am familiar with that - which is why I said " . . . the top one is connected to - which is fine ..." because I had set the order as the link you provided describes. The kicker is in your last remark "only works if the networks are already up" - to which I add - and don't glitch thereafter. I am hoping for some setting - perhaps via a script or whatever which either asks permission to change, or notifies of change, or puts up a continuous flag indicating what is connected, or disables the printer visibility when they are not on line, or . . .!

Thanks anyway.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Can the backup network be turned off until needed? Is the hardware easily accessible?

Joe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

petermat (2015-07-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,
    Good question - but no. The 'backup' is actually built into the ISP supplied modem. I thought of switching them - making the modem / router the main net by putting the printers on there. But this modem/router is an ISP proprietary and there is no manual / info available, so I cannot set it up as we need - so that is a non starter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can't you just uncheck “Connect automatically when this network is in range” and check "Connect to a more preferred network if available".

That should set "Two" as a backup for manual connection, which would revert to "One" when available.

(At Network and sharing center, Manage wireless networks, Properties.)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

petermat (2015-07-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce - did not know you could do that - thanks! Not quite a total fix as user can still ask for, and expect to get, a print when not on the correct net. However the probability of getting caught out is now well down, for which we are very grateful.