5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Any issues converting an Administrator account to a Standard account?

Today I held a training class at our local senior center. They have a Win7 desktop. They have 2 administrator accounts available.
    I do not want to have visitors or trainees to have both of the administrator accounts available to them.
    I want to have the primary administrator account available only for office personnel and myself.

Then there is the second administrator account that I used for training purposes.
    --- However I suspect it would be better for visitors and trainees to use a standard account
    Are there any drawbacks to just changing that administrator account to a standard account or is it better to delete the second administrator account and just create a new account being a standard account?
    --- Being a standard account, I'm also hoping files in the primary account are not available in the standard account: is this true?
    --- I'm also under the impression that a standard account user cannot download anything from the internet or install any software: is this true?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Changing from admin to ordinary has no downside for the account.
    Files from other users should not be available whether the user is an admin or not. Being admin allows you to change that by modifying the file permissions. Test whether you currently have access to other users files.
    Non-admin does not prevent you downloading or installing software - Chrome is a classic example of user installed software. Non-admin prevents you installing software for all users, i.e. C:\Program Files.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-07-29)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If the Windows SKU is Pro or higher you can use Gpedit to restrict a lot of functionality in a particular account.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-07-29)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "If the Windows SKU is Pro or higher you can use Gpedit to restrict a lot of functionality in a particular account."

Yes it is Windows 7 Pro
    I'll put that information on my project list so I can learn how to do so