Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Today's the day; has anyone updated?

Has anyone updated a perfectly good Windows 7 system to Windows 10, or a Windows 8/8.1 system to Windows 10?

Thanks
    To me, Windows 7 isn't perfectly good, my Win 8.1 is, and I haven't as yet updated. I shall do it in the fullness of time (as long as it's less than a year).

YMMV

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a time limit ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    One year (7/28/2016) to upgrade for free.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

MartinM (2015-07-30)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've only seen one success on another forum and three failures on this forum so far.

Thanks
    I've only seen one success on another forum and three failures on this forum so far.
    What kind of failures? Hmmm, guess I better start looking around.

Something has been D/L on my laptop for approx. an hour now so I assume that it's win 10.

Update: Whatever was D/L is done so I guess I need to wait for the notification that it is ready to install, is that correct?
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2015-07-29 at 14:10.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Ok, here's a success. I upgraded my Win 7 HP dual boot laptop to Win 10 Home via downloaded ISO placed on a USB stick via RUFUS, Windows Media Creator wouldn't see my USB drive for some reason. It went smoothly and even maintained the Dual Boot configuration for the second OS! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Win 10 failed with error code C1900208, oh well, if it won't install I'll go back to my cloned win 7 HDD.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I updated today on a older WIN7 computer and had no problems.
    It took about 1 1/2 hours but all my programs and settings carried over just fine.
    Other than struggling a little with Edge it seems great.
    Barry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Ok, here's a success. I upgraded my Win 7 HP dual boot laptop to Win 10 Home via downloaded ISO placed on a USB stick via RUFUS, Windows Media Creator wouldn't see my USB drive for some reason. It went smoothly and even maintained the Dual Boot configuration for the second OS! HTH
    What did you use for the product key to download the ISO - or didn't you need one ?

Thanks
    Sudo,

Didn't need one. It generated a new one (not the same as the Win 7 HP key) at least according to my PowerShell program that mimics Belarc Advisor. Speaking of which will not run on Edge! Speccy reports the same number.

Interesting, I thought an Update Install would be Automatically activated but it is NOT! I tried to activate and is gave me a message that it can not activate now! Maybe I need to change the key to my old Win 7 key?

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

According to This MS Article it looks like I'll be restoring my Laptop's Image from last night and waiting for it to offer the update!

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's probably because their servers are screwed ?

The reason I was asking about a product key was because of what it says in http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10 but when I clicked on the FAQs it says to use the COA sticker for Win 7 pre-installed.

Win 8.1 could be a bit more involved if the key is embedded. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/faq

Looking at various articles, it could be weeks before everyone gets the update.

I haven't received mine yet but as I'm usually a day late in getting the monthly issue, I wasn't expecting mine until tomorrow anyway - but the way things are going, the later the better for MS to get things right.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Sudo,

Didn't need one. It generated a new one (not the same as the Win 7 HP key) at least according to my PowerShell program that mimics Belarc Advisor. Speaking of which will not run on Edge! Speccy reports the same number.

Interesting, I thought an Update Install would be Automatically activated but it is NOT! I tried to activate and is gave me a message that it can not activate now! Maybe I need to change the key to my old Win 7 key?
    I just Upgraded Win10 Home over Win7 w/SP1 Home without issue. It didn't ask for a Product Key and shows Activated in Properties of This PC.

This link shows my experience so far, Reply #18:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...o-FAILED/page2

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had two reservations set for Win10...one on a 64-bit Win8.1Pro system and the other on a 32-bit Win7 system (different computers).

On the 64-bit system, as soon as I installed 10240 over my Win10 TP partition, the reservation on the Win8.1Pro partition went away. How did it know?

On the 32-bit system, beginning today, July 29, the GWX module dissapeared from the icon tray list and the module would not run when invoked directly, user or administrator mode, from its location in Windows\GWX. Further, the tag in Windows Update would not respond when clicked for Learn More. I suspect today was the day of no return for that activity, except a displayed message that my copy was reserved.

I then uninstalled the KB3035583 and marked it hidden after reboot when it showed up to be installed again. It turns out I had to start using that Win7 system for a special project (it is essentially a little used clean install) and didn't want it disrupted.

I would imagine the MS servers are being loaded to the max, or at least, that is what MS would like us to think. I wonder if they will start to produce daily tracking figures for the Win10 installs?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast