Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

July's PC patching collides with Win10 release

PATCH WATCH

July's PC patching collides with Win10 release

By Susan Bradley

It's time to update your computers but not to Windows 10. If you plan to upgrade to the new Windows, it's best to wait a while; in the meantime, here's how to edit your registry to permanently remove that annoying Win10 reservation-notification icon.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/julys-pc-patching-collides-with-win10-release/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.[/td] [/tr][/tbl]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan, consider running a special story on this one. If its got Brian Krebs concerned I suspect it's important enough to pay attention too.

Kind regards,

David Casey, CISSP/CISM/SCA
    Director, Cybersecurity Practice
    Concanon LLC
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-07-30 at 06:14.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Not received KB 3065987

I have not received KB 3065987 (Win 7 SP1)
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-07-30 at 10:31.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyecat View Post
    I have not received KB 3065987 (Win 7 SP1)
    Download and install it then (Method 2):

Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: July 2015
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-07-30 at 14:29. Reason: fixed link

New Lounger
    Thanks

Doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    fd

All I get is an 'about:blank'

(I was a Windows Insider)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyecat View Post
    fd

All I get is an 'about:blank'

(I was a Windows Insider)
    Sorry, link fixed now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Sorry, link fixed now.
    Fine. Thanx

Thanks
    Hi, everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask the question. I have two updates (KB2952664 and KB3035583) in my Windows Update notifications that I am reluctant to install since there was nothing written about them in Susan's column. The reason I am reluctant is that KB...664 according to Microsoft: "This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows." and KB...583 according to Microsoft: "This update installs the Get Windows 10 app, which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness." Since both of these updates concern the upcoming Windows 10, I don't know what to do. Install them or not? Is there any other site that might enlighten me better? Has anyone else installed these and, if so, what happened when you did? I know that I am chicken-hearted here but I trust Windows Secrets writers with my computer and follow the recommendations pretty faithfully. Any help please? Thanks in advance.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 966 Posts
    Simple, if you want Windows 10 install the updates, if you don't, don't install them.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobspunkin View Post
    I have two updates (KB2952664 and KB3035583) in my Windows Update notifications that I am reluctant to install since there was nothing written about them in Susan's column.
    Those two updates have appeared in Susan's column many times, including the latest.

Try searching the newsletter tab with just the numbers (no KB as Susan inserts a space). Then use Ctrl-F to find them on the page.

Thanks
    Thanks, Paul. I am going to wait as Susan suggested so will not be installing these updates. I am not in any hurry to install Windows 10 until the kinks are worked out.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The updates just put an icon, 4 white squares like on the Windows key, in the Notification Area so you can reserve a free Upgrade to Win10 from Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1. That free Upgrade is good for a year. My choice is to do the updates then Customize the Notification Area to hide both the notification and icon, can always get them back later. Sometimes the icon doesn't show up right away.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Microsoft Delivers Windows 10 SR1 - I Stand Corrected

Hi Folks,

@WindowsSecrets Retweet a tweet talking about something called "'SR1'"(Software Release) for a "New non-security content: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3081424)". @GabeAul did tweet that this update would be about 325MB.
    Now really? Please, I have heard/read Gabe Aul and other 'Softies' talk about "Cumulative Updates for Windows 10" PLENTY but I have never heard of this "'SR1'" reference. There already have been plenty of "Cumulative Updates for Windows 10" and there is going to be plenty more. They have, do and will include both Security and nonsecurity updates as a rule it appears.

Now some of what we have heard is

TH1 = Threshold 1 (which we have now)
    TH2 = Threshold 2 (which we are supposed to have later, about October if that comes to pass)
    ST1 Which I never heard an explanation for but in the OS description on the Insider Hub

My references as best as I have heard and read them, in tweets, blogs and Windows Weekly on TWiT are Paul Thurrott, Mary Jo Foley, Ed Bott, Gabe Aul at MS and other Softies.

If anybody is confused by all of this, like I was, I hope this will clear some of that up......

Best Regards to all,

Crysta

PS1 I just went in to "Insider Hub" and saw that "ST1" is now absent. What that means or it meant is beyoud me. Maybe somebody else knows or if it even matters.

PS2 In a fresh Post by Paul Thurrott: "Microsoft Delivers Windows 10 SR1" and I quote:

"I know what you’re thinking. SR1? Seriously? But it’s true: just a week after the initial release of Windows 10, Microsoft has delivered the first major update to its latest OS. Dubbed Service Release 1 (SR1) internally, this cumulative update for Windows 10 provides no new features but does offer a ton of small fixes."

So this seem to be an absence of MS's clarity and misguidance. Thank You Paul for getting to the bottom of this and clearing up my confusion and maybe others.
    Last edited by PhotM; 2015-08-05 at 16:58. Reason: PS1 and PS2

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    From https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081424 :
    Windows 10 updates are cumulative. Therefore, this package contains all previously-released fixes (see KB 3074683). If you have installed previous updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed to your computer.
    It's quite a list. 'They' did leave off the size method for that column but must assume it is KB/KiloBytes.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotM View Post
    Now really? Please, I have heard/read Gabe Aul and other 'Softies' talk about "Cumulative Updates for Windows 10" PLENTY but I have never heard of this "'SR1'" reference.
    TH1 = Threshold 1 (which we have now)
    TH2 = Threshold 2 (which we are supposed to have later, about October if that comes to pass)
    ST1 Which I never heard an explanation for but in the OS description on the Insider Hub
    My references as best as I have heard and read them, in tweets, blogs and Windows Weekly on TWiT are Paul Thurrott, Mary Jo Foley, Ed Bott, Gabe Aul at MS and other Softies.
    Why do you care about Microsoft's internal names for various updates? They're all automatic now so we don't have to worry about that stuff.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-08-05 at 15:58.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast