Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What happens after Win10 fails?

This morning my laptop was D/L'ing for about 2 hrs. then it evidently tried to run the Win 10 install, then there was a window that said that it had failed with error code: C1900208.
    A couple of questions come to mind.
    1st is that since it D/L'ded, does it have to do it again since the install failed or is it on my HDD somewhere? In other words, do I have to continue with Looong D/L's every time MS feels like trying it again?
    2nd, If it's on my HDD somewhere am I just waiting for some notification that MS is ready to try it again or am I just dead in the water?

After all the hype about Win 10 being easy and the best thing since sliced bread, I'm beginning to have my doubts. Thank God I cloned my system before all this, LOL.

Thanks
    Hmm, after re-reading the reservation/confirmation email I guess they will send a notice when they are ready to try it again. I assume that the D/L resides somewhere on my HDD.
    I still don't understand why the failed attempt though.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got Win10 failed code 80070005 after the download finished so I will be watching this thread

Super Moderator
    Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

mosie (2015-07-29)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    From Get help with Windows 10 upgrade and installation errors:

Code 0xC1900208 – 0x4000C

This error might mean that an incompatible app installed on your PC is blocking the upgrade process from completing. Check to make sure that any incompatible apps are uninstalled and then try upgrading again.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

mosie (2015-07-29)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    found old software that may be causing problem and it wouldnt let me uninstall it 'no access to shared dll's.' I thought I was in as Admin already an have great malware software 'Emsisoft' for 2 yrs now but off to read your link more, get downloads etc and check it all out<sigh>Thanks Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    From Get help with Windows 10 upgrade and installation errors:

Code 0xC1900208 – 0x4000C

This error might mean that an incompatible app installed on your PC is blocking the upgrade process from completing. Check to make sure that any incompatible apps are uninstalled and then try upgrading again.

Joe
    Thanks Joe, actually there was an HP Client Security app that needed to be uninstalled as per the compatibility check originally. I had forgotten about it so I uninstalled it last night. How do I try upgrading again, does the "Get win 10" app start looking again? At this point when I click on the app, all I have is this.
    GW10 notification.JPG
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2015-07-30 at 10:30.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the "download is ready" message and very unwisely opted to download and install "ten". About two hours later my screen went black and not a thing has happened since. Now, no one knows that to do. There's no error message....no cursor.....nothing but black on my screen for nearly 24 hours. This would have been an upgrade from 7 home edition. Any ideas??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dell Hill View Post
    I got the "download is ready" message and very unwisely opted to download and install "ten". About two hours later my screen went black and not a thing has happened since. Now, no one knows that to do. There's no error message....no cursor.....nothing but black on my screen for nearly 24 hours. This would have been an upgrade from 7 home edition. Any ideas??
    The first thing I would do is try to restart windows and see how that goes. After 24 hours, it's time to restart.
    Welcome to the forums
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2015-07-30 at 11:42.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Get a coffee? Write a poem? Plan your vacation?

That's the problem when an interactive function becomes... not interactive. Your only real choices are:

- let the function continue to run and hope that it finally completes. If nothing happens, or you eventually decide to pull the plug, then it's on to option #2;
    - interrupt the upgrade and hope that your system is in some kind of a usable state. Either Win7 or Win10 would be acceptable at this point but the worst case scenario is that you have a partial install and a mix of both. There's essentially zero chance a partial install would work and so you're looking at a total system wipe and reinstall.

Microsoft has gotten better in recent years about auto-unrolling failed upgrades. I wouldn't feel comfortable relying upon this though.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    The first thing I would do is try to restart windows and see how that goes. After 24 hours, it's time to restart.
    Welcome to the forums
    Thanks, lumpy95....I tried rebooting about a half-hour ago....tried safe mode....Got a Dell Dimension screen with an install meter indicating about have finished. That stayed up for about thirty seconds and then everything went black again and has stayed that way.

Thanks
    Thanks, lumpy95....I tried rebooting about a half-hour ago....tried safe mode....Got a Dell Dimension screen with an install meter indicating about have finished. That stayed up for about thirty seconds and then everything went black again and has stayed that way.
    WOW, I certainly hope you have a good backup to go to because it sounds like there may be problems with the upgrade. I have never heard of an upgrade taking that long but I don't know all the particulars in your case. You have more patience than I do, LOL.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Sounds like its time to schedule a call with the Microsoft answer desk. Go to:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus#
    Click on Services and apps
    Click on Setting up
    Select either call as soon as possible or schedule a call

Jerry

Thanks
    Dell Hill:
    It sounds like you are not alone since many Dell computers are having problems similar to yours.
    http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...-hdd-light-on/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Sounds like its time to schedule a call with the Microsoft answer desk. Go to:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus#
    Click on Services and apps
    Click on Setting up
    Select either call as soon as possible or schedule a call

Jerry
    Thanks, Jerry. I'm also doing some serious thinking about whether or not I really want to go through this again. I've fought MS tooth and nail since 3.1 and I'm sick of it, really. I honestly don't know how others cope. Maybe I'll give it one more try.....and thanks to those who have responded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast