New Lounger
    Thanks

Get Windows 10 in VirtualBox on Linux fails

I have both Windows 7 and Windows 10 preview running in Virtual Box VM's on a Linux system. Both seem to be running just fine. When I click the "Get Windows 10" icon on the Win 7 VM, the app informs me that Windows 10 can't be installed because the CPU is not supported (it's an AMD A10 6800K) and the display adapter is not supported. Anybody else seeing the same problem?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It may not be the physical devices but whatever the VM is presenting to the app.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's essentially what my son (who actually knows what he's doing with Linux) said. I was hoping it wasn't just me. Or, better, it's not just me and somebody knows what to do about it.

Thanks
    It could be that hardware virtualization is not enabled, that is, the processor is emulated and not run through your actual CPU. Personally I prefer KVM over virtualbox as it supports direct hardware virt, but setting it up requires an experienced quotient. The Qemu launch configured with kvm works great.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...ro-64bitguests

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bede View Post
    That's essentially what my son (who actually knows what he's doing with Linux) said. I was hoping it wasn't just me. Or, better, it's not just me and somebody knows what to do about it.
    Similar on VMWare WS. Here is what I did (got help from their forums)
    Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO
    and download the iso.
    I connected to it in the VM and ran the setup as administrator
    Sat back and watched.
    (first try crashed, I didn't have enough space available on the C drive, I increased it)
    Under VMWare, I had to remove and reinstall VMWare tools.
    all is well, there is a 25 GB folder named windows.old or somesuch.

Lou

6. The Following User Says Thank You to louyo For This Useful Post:

Bede (2015-07-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Iouyo, your suggestion to download the iso didn't solve the problem, but it did point me in the right direction.

After finally surviving the "Something Happened!" errors with the MS Media Creation Tool (don't forget to run it in an Admin account), the install still wouldn't run. But it did tell me why the processor was unsupported. The install media expects to be able to use a particular CPU instruction (CMPXCHG16B) that wasn't being presented by the emulation. It shows up as a CompareExchange128 error reference.

Bottom line was that when I installed Windows 7 in VirtualBox I chose Windows 7 64 bit as the operating system on the general tab of the settings. Changing that setting to Windows 10 64 bit allowed the Windows 10 setup disk to run. (I think choosing Windows 8.1 64 bit for the OS would also work, but didn't try it.) Changing the OS, as far as I can tell, did not change the issue with the Get Windows icon displayed on the Windows 7 task bar. The last time I tried it was still refusing to acknowledge that the CPU was supported.

Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks
    I always found it best to stay as far away as possible from Linux!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clippy View Post
    It could be that hardware virtualization is not enabled, that is, the processor is emulated and not run through your actual CPU. Personally I prefer KVM over virtualbox as it supports direct hardware virt, but setting it up requires an experienced quotient. The Qemu launch configured with kvm works great.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...ro-64bitguests
    That means running Qemu or something right??
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Bede, like the old British historian?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.