2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Windows 10 Update Issues

I got the Windows 10 update and created the ISO disk. The update was a serious issue because Windows could not determine if my PC was ready for the install; so I started over, got the same message. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro A665 and it meets the criteria. All the Windows updates were done prior to the install. The first time I installed I forgot to disable my a/v & anti-malware, so that bust could have been my fault; I uninstalled them..still no luck. I also cleared out all the prior Windows Updates before starting over hoping that the mess would be fixed and the update would work, but Windows could not decide if my PC was ready for the installation. I should have just gone back to 8.1 that was working just fine, but....

In that this is my play computer, I bit the bullet and did the clean install because I don't have anything of real value on the machine It took forever to do the install with a couple of "Hi's" and "we'll be back laters" and many, many re-boots. I attempted to update my Nvidia 300M videocard selecting the drivers that supported my hardware. The claimed latest driver was a disaster. I forget that number. I was able to get GeForce 341.74 installed, but only after multiple messages about 1)not being able to find the hardware; 2) the driver wasn't compatible altho' it was specific for Win 10 notebooks; 3) I couldn't install the graphics driver while the new hardware wizard was open(Huh!). On the 4th try for some reason, the driver worked.

I cannot get Windows to activate, but that maybe system overload from what is being said at Technet. I didn't think a product key would be an issue, but it was. I ignored the request for a product key during the install and the install finished. Now, I can't do any personalization because Windows isn't activated. I did have to correct the time zone. I was hoping that would help fix the activation issue. Maybe it still will, but time will tell. I'm going to give the servers sometime to settle down, but I might have to call Microsoft to get Win 10 Pro activated.

Windows shows the last 4 digits of a product key I didn't know I had or needed. I looked at Belarc, it was no help. However, MagicJellyBean gave me one that I attempted to use, but that didn't resolve the issue. The ZoneAlarm FreeAnti-Virus/Firewall I used does not work. MBAM & Avast do.

I am a bit disappointed on how this installation worked. I have valid product keys, a clean, working laptop with little or nothing on it and it still was a major hassle. Boot up is slower than the win 8.1 Pro setup but my hard drive might be a mess from what went on with this install. Actually, it was pretty ugly.

D.

P.S. And, on top of it all, I got that email message telling me:

"Hi ,
    It looks like you've reached your device limit for installing apps and games from the Store on your Windows 10 device. If you want to install apps and games from the Store on another Windows 10 device, remove a device from the device list."

Apparently, this is something a few people have received as a pop-up, but I got it in an email. It may be on my laptop as pop-up, but I'm not using for the time being.
    Last edited by PeachesP; 2015-07-30 at 08:41.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    For ZoneAlarm, check to make sure you have the latest version. See The following version is Windows 10, Windows 7, Vista and XP compatible for download links.

Joe

Thanks
    "Hi ,
    It looks like you've reached your device limit for installing apps and games from the Store on your Windows 10 device. If you want to install apps and games from the Store on another Windows 10 device, remove a device from the device list."
    I got the same email. You can safely ignore it. I talked to a Microsoft rep and he said it was a server overload issue that would resolve itself within 30 hours. he said he limit will go to 10 devices.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both Jerry & Joe. I will get the Zone Alarm version now available for WIN10. I didn't think to look for a new version with everything else going on.

I spoke to Microsoft as well. The rep asked for my error code which I provided and he told me to wait 48 hrs before trying to activate because of server overload and I shouldn't have a problem. I'm hoping I didn't lose my free upgrade by doing the clean install. Like a good soldier, I updated everything on the laptop before this exercise and it must have been the video driver that botched it up. I upgraded to the one that was recommended and that didn't go so well. That's the only thing that really gave me hard time.

I'll wait until the weekend and see if I can get activated.

Diane
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Thanks
    You need to do an upgrade install first and a clean install afterwards if you want a free copy that will activate. If you did a clean install without doing an upgrade install first, see if you can go back to your previous OS via Settings > Update and Security > recovery.> Go back to Windows 8.1

Then you can try an upgrade install with the iso you downloaded.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You need to do an upgrade install first and a clean install afterwards if you want a free copy that will activate. If you did a clean install without doing an upgrade install first, see if you can go back to your previous OS via Settings > Update and Security > recovery.> Go back to Windows 8.1

Then you can try an upgrade install with the iso you downloaded.

Jerry
    I did attempt the update install, but there was something on my laptop that win10 didn't like..."windows couldn't tell if my computer was ready for the install", more than once. So, I stuck the ISO in frustration and Win10 installed and actually ran pretty well, but I couldn't get it authenticated. I even played Solitaire from the Microsoft collection.

I used my backup and went back to 8.1. From reading the Toshiba forums I learned that the Synaptic driver was not compatible with Win 10 that was on my machine. Maybe that was the problem along with the crappy video driver from Nvidia. I would have thought that when I did the compatibility check, that issue would have been recognized, but what do I know. The laptop passed muster.The funny thing is when I inquired of Microsoft about authentication, and gave them my error code, the guy said no problem. It was server issues on their end and wait 48 hours. In fairness to the rep, I didn't tell him the whole scenario about the failed update and subsequent attempt at a clean install w/o a successful update.

Now, I'm really worried now about my desktop and really didn't want to go thru hours of fooling around to botch up my system although aging components are not an issue with this machine. I think I'm going to pass on updating the laptop for the moment. Thanks for your response.

Diane