3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

W10 TP Questions

I may have missed this in other threads so if have, please point them out.

I had Win 10 TP Build 10162 on one of my systems. Yesterday (7/29) I received an update listed as "Build 10240". It installed OK but does not have the "watermark" on the lower right corner of the screen.

Q1: Is this the "Official" version of Win 10? The information screen says "Windows 10 Pro" and states "Windows is Activated".

Q2: I plan to download the ISO file at a later time to install Win 10 on my main system - I am currently running Win 8.1 Pro there. It is my understanding that you have to use the Windows Update method to get a proper Product Key. Is this correct?

Thanks
    I had Win 10 TP Build 10162 on one of my systems. Yesterday (7/29) I received an update listed as "Build 10240". It installed OK but does not have the "watermark" on the lower right corner of the screen.

Q1: Is this the "Official" version of Win 10? The information screen says "Windows 10 Pro" and states "Windows is Activated".
    I have the same activated build on my desktop. I upgraded my Windows 8.1 laptop and it has exactly the same build so I believe we have the official version.

Q2: I plan to download the ISO file at a later time to install Win 10 on my main system - I am currently running Win 8.1 Pro there. It is my understanding that you have to use the Windows Update method to get a proper Product Key. Is this correct?
    Yesterday I had an update error trying to upgrade via windows update. I then used the Windows 10 download page:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    to do an upgrade install and it worked but I was unable to activate with a bad or missing key error. Went to Windows Update this morning and installed a couple of updates. Tried to activate again and Windows activated. Talked to a Microsoft rep and he said server overload was responsible for both problems so you might want to wait a couple of days for things to settle down.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I plan to wait several weeks before attempting to download and install Win 10. By then some of the inevitable bugs will be worked out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Q1: Yes, 10240 is the official release build.

Q2: I've seen both Yes and No responses. Just a guess but I think if you reserved a copy then you can use Windows Update or an ISO and all will be OK. Authoritative answers from Microsoft about licenses and validation variables have been non existent.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

nate01pa (2015-08-01)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Q1: Yes, 10240 is the official release build.

Q2: I've seen both Yes and No responses. Just a guess but I think if you reserved a copy then you can use Windows Update or an ISO and all will be OK. Authoritative answers from Microsoft about licenses and validation variables have been non existent.

Joe
    Then I do have the RTM version but it is 64 bits and my laptop needs the 32-bit version. I have a feeling that the ISO will be updated after a few weeks. I am not in a big hurry.