Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

the new win 10 roll out - any feedback? safe or bugfest central?

holding off letting them put win 10 in the laptop to replace win8.1

is there any user feedback on whether it is safe and reliable or is it another bugfest PITA that billyg has inflicted on us

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

the new win 10 roll out - any feedback? safe or bugfest central?

tried to post this
    seems to have disappeared

if you find a duplicate somewhere let me know where it went to
    thanks

is the user feedback on the win10 rollout indicating that it is solid and reliable and safe to do or are users reporting bugs and problems indicating we should wait several months before letting them overwrite our win8 with a win10

Thanks
    While not perfect, I find Windows 10 stable. If you do perform the update, there is a roll back to previous OS option available for one month.

Jerry

Thanks
    Many people, like myself, got "Failed" installs with no idea for certain what comes next. If I don't see anything related to the upgrade for a couple of weeks, I'll just go to my backup and wipe the HDD I prepared for the upgrade and stick with 7 for a long time.
    My personal observation is that most of the proficient computer users ( like Jerry, etc. ) got the update without much trouble. Whereas many, not so proficient users have/had a number of problems.
    Susan Bradley's previous advice of waiting sounds like gold now that I'm in limbo

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    is it another bugfest PITA that billyg has inflicted on us
    Last I read, some months ago, Bill Gates owned only 20% of Microsoft, guess if blame is being assigned there's many others involved.

So far Win10 Home is working fine on my Dell Inspiron 580 [late 2009] Desktop and I am now installing Win10 Pro on my year-old Dell Inspiron 15R Notebook.

Thanks
    According to the Microsoft rep I talked to, a lot of the problems are due to overloaded servers. Waiting for awhile for the dust to settle may indeed be prudent.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Gates owns less than 4% of Microsoft now. See Bill Gates’ Ownership Stake In Microsoft (MSFT) Will Vanish In Four Years from May 2014.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    lots of people responsible

i blame billyg for the culture of bugs at microslop

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Last I read, some months ago, Bill Gates owned only 20% of Microsoft, guess if blame is being assigned there's many others involved.

So far Win10 Home is working fine on my Dell Inspiron 580 [late 2009] Desktop and I am now installing Win10 Pro on my year-old Dell Inspiron 15R Notebook.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What seems to be clear and getting even more apparent is that it's an upgrade and the more pristine and uncustomized the target system is, the better the chances for a perfect or at least good upgrade is. Also I've heard on Windows Weekly that the reason some folk are not getting the upgrade as timely as others are is because those have been identified as the more problematic upgrade candidates and MS is trying to adjust to those on the run, but still, maybe not quite as successfully as the "easy" upgrades.

The most important takeaway I'm thinking more and more is, it's an upgrade! Better than it's ever been before perhaps but still by no means perfect.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had a less than satisfactory experience with my attempt to upgrade. Everything runs and I get Windows 10, but most of the programs that were installed before are unavailable or not working.

Microsoft is not set up to handle people who run into difficulties. Their support options are only live chat or phone (no email or support tickets) and their people are overwhelmed. If you do reach someone you have no way to follow up if their advice doesn't work, which was true in my case.

I ended up going back to Windows 7 from an image backup, and will wait a couple of weeks and try again. By the way, if someone wants to get their upgrade right away and not wait, it can be kicked off from here.

Has anyone run into a situation similar to mine and gotten it resolved, or figured out a better way to get support?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It seems that the best upgrade experience is from those who have reserved Win10 and wait until the notification that Windows 10 is ready to install on their machine. It seems that most of the issues I've observed have been people who've forced the upgrade. IMO, two reasons Microsoft is slowly releasing the upgrade are to fix issues and wait for some of the OEMs to get their act together on utilities and drivers.

Joe

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-08-12),jmward22 (2015-08-13),petesmst (2015-08-07)

Thanks
    Windows 10 has been stable over the last few days that I've had it running.
    The upgrade experience was surprisingly a very positive experience on the whole. (coming from 8.1)
    Edge & Cortana:
    I'm starting to use Edge for certain things now and I'm becoming more familiar with it.
    Cortana has potentially major privacy issues associated with it and have not felt an overwhelming need for it.

At this time I don't feel want or need to revert back.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    holding off letting them put win 10 in the laptop to replace win8.1

is there any user feedback on whether it is safe and reliable or is it another bugfest PITA that billyg has inflicted on us
    Absolutely safe & reliable & beyond that just really capable & very easy & enjoyable to use. Some damn nice, utilitarian Features, too. Sure does work well!! Heartily recommend it!

Should we wait several months before letting them overwrite our win8 with a win10?

No, there is nothing gained by delaying, @ all, except a longer time denied the use of Windows 10 for no good reason.

Won't look to 'blame' anyone... might look to commend someone. Kudos for Windows 10. The Build Team @ MS did a really good job, this time!

Clint, nobody could pay me enough to go backwards & give up Windows 10. Been working on computers & in IT for a long time & several Windows OSs and this 10 is just too nice to walk away from it. And the GA is way better than any of the betas were.

Bugs? What bugs? The darn thing just works & works well.

According to the Microsoft rep I talked to, a lot of the problems are due to overloaded servers. Waiting for awhile for the dust to settle may indeed be prudent.

Jerry
    Using & Upgrading from the ISO skirts that issue.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-08-07 at 02:22.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Aye, the ISO does skirt that issue but then one falls directly into the jaws of the possible dilemma described by Joe in post 11. In retrospect I'm pretty sure my use of an ISO instead of letting the process work from within caused most of the issues I had.

Thanks
    Post #11 is spot on!!!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast