Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

The Beauty of Images

Hey Y'all,

I thought I'd just take this opportunity to again stress the need to take System Images.

Yesterday I attempted to upgrade both my primary desktop machine (Win 8.1 Pro) and primary laptop (Win 7 HP SP-1 dual boot) to the respective versions of Win 10.
    Both updates went seemingly OK and the proverbial substance hit the quickly rotating device!

On the desktop Microsoft Money Sunset Edition would not run! Yes there is where my financial life resides so obviously that was a NO GO! BTW it also broke Virtual Box.

On the Laptop again things seemed to go just fine even to the preservation of the dual boot structure. However, after reading some comments in the Lounge I went to check my Activation status only to find not only wasn't it activated but it wouldn't activate saying my key was no good. What!

Now to the reason for the post...on the Evening of the 28th in prep for W10 I imaged all of my machines so I could upgrade with impunity!

Both of the machines w/problems were back in operation in less than 30 minutes each by a simple restore of the Images...as though nothing ever happened.

Just to be sure I'm not being too subtle Backup, Backup, Backup as my friend bbearren always says! I'll add just one word to that sage advice IMAGE.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-01)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul Thurrott said to give it a couple days to activate as he has had a couple issues with the previews and with the RTM not activating but he let the install work through it's issues and it came around. He didn't say anything about the key being stated as invalid though so I don't know if this is the same exact issue you and bbearren describe.

Thanks
    My laptop upgrade failed activation with a missing or invalid key also. Left it for a day and it activated.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jerry,

Since I'd updated mine w/ISO I'm just waiting for it to be offered via WU then I'll try again.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    That certainly should work but you should also be able to update via the download media from:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

I assume that's where you got your iso. As long as you do an upgrade install, it should work. You may have to wait for a day or two before it activates but I assume the server load has backed off a little by now.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

I thought I'd just take this opportunity to again stress the need to take System Images.
    Dang right! Fairly fast too.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am appalled how often I have to restore machines on my network from backup - about once per week. Likely due to the fact that the Windows 7 Pro installations are now 24-36 months old.

My wife is particularly prone to having programs start acting flaky on her desktop or laptop PC. Usually impossible to figure out what went wrong, and very easy to restore from a monthly Acronis backup image.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Thanks
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)
    Or bad beer! Got to reel that women in!! I am lucky my GF doesn't surf! Every thing else thou arrg !!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.