Thread: DLL's

Star Lounger
    Thanks

DLL's

Is there a safe program to check and replace any missing or damaged dll's to use Win8.1 64bit? I cant remember what I used for winxp

Thanks
    Well, there are some 3rd party utilities that tout themselves as able to locate, download & update old DLLs, missing DLLs, etc. Many places do not recommend such utilities. If you decide to try one or more, do so cautiously, carefully, after having made OS partition images onto external media.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Mosie,

It's builtin System File Checker. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

mosie (2015-07-30)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Mosie,

It's builtin System File Checker. HTH
    Thank you so much. I ran it and saved a txtfile showing details of what it said it couldn't fix.Now I just need to figure out what and how to fix them. Anywhere can share text file to get help with it?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could post the file contents here.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In an admin cmd prompt enter

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

and that will put an icon onto the desktop which when double clicked will open the CBS Log in Notepad which you can copy & paste.

This produces an edited version where it just shows the files that it was and wasn't able to repair.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You could post the file contents here.

cheers, Paul
    sfcdetails.txt Ok Thanks Paul Hope I do this right?!
    Last edited by mosie; 2015-07-31 at 18:24.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It would seem that KB3000850 was an important update so uninstalling it would be unwise, whereas I've never known the reason behind KB3068708 unless it has something to do with upgrading to Win 10, as it's predecessor KB3022345 was causing sfc /scannow to incorrectly report Diagnostic Tracking Service errors.

I'm not sure about the other file that is says it is unable to repair but as it's in close proximity to the Telemetry error, it could be related as is the one for KB3000850.

SFCFix.exe may be able to do something with those errors, but open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter chkdsk /f to see if that also reports errors - this is the cmd that you probably used in XP.

Should you have forgotten how to view its report, open Event Viewer and when it has read the logs, expand Windows Logs, click on the name Application - Action - Find and in the Find box type chkdsk or wininit and press enter - Cancel the Find box and then read the report in the scrollable window.

That should hopefully report nothing wrong with the volume which will confirm that the sfc errors were generated by those KBs.

I've recently come across where the SFCFix tool prompted for the install disk when run in Win 8.1

If you don't have one and are prompted, there's a section in this article that shows you how to download the ISO and create a bootable disk. https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructi...8-and-8-1.html

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mosie (2015-08-01)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is where I am at this morning (text-file enclosed). Win10 update fail and noticed couldn't uninstall couple things is what started this all. This laptop only year old and having more trouble than my old WinXPDesktop ever did. And not being a tech does not help. I sure appreciate this place so much for trying to help this old frustrated gal out!
    SFCFix2.txt

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well that says it ran the Dism repair tool but open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth to see what that reports and then try dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth if /scanhealth says it's repairable.

After that run another sfc /scannow to see if it still reports files it is unable to repair.

EDIT - If sfc /scannow still reports problems with KB3000850 then I think you should uninstall and then reinstall it.

It's about 750MB and I think it could be what was referred to as Win 8.1.1 which was required to receive further updates and if that is buggy, then that could be the route of your problems.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=44977
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-02 at 13:28.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mosie (2015-08-02)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Well that says it ran the Dism repair tool but open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth to see what that reports and then try dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth if /scanhealth says it's repairable.

After that run another sfc /scannow to see if it still reports files it is unable to repair.

EDIT - If sfc /scannow still reports problems with KB3000850 then I think you should uninstall and then reinstall it.

It's about 750MB and I think it could be what was referred to as Win 8.1.1 which was required to receive further updates and if that is buggy, then that could be the route of your problems.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=44977
    2014-05-29_195046.2JPG.jpg this found nothing wrong so off to do sfc /scannow again, Thanks for update later,mosie