2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

change of location and language for ISO of WIn10

Having had repeated failures ("Something happened") while using my DVD made from the official downloaded ISO of Win10 I did some research and found that some people were able to make it work by changing the language and location (of the laptop) to USA English/USA and also by recreating the DVD by running the media Creation programme "as administrator".
    However, this didn't work in the case of the two laptops that I tried it on, so I'll probably wait until it can be done online without the DVD.
    I have two related questions, however:
    1. When it becomes available online do I still need to change the language and location before installing or is that merely an issue with the ISO?
    2. The recovery partition on one of the the laptops is over 80% full (and that is after a clean reinstall of Win8.1 followed by all the Windows Updates). Could this crowded recovery partition cause a problem when installing a Win10 and, if so, should I reduce its size (and if so what's the ideal way to do that?)
    Thanks for any ideas
    David
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My recovery partition (300MB) is empty. Is your recovery partition manufacturer provided, in which case it will contain the Windows installation files and machine specific drivers?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul. Yes, I think so .... hence my question :-)
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Win 10 would install into the C: partition over your Win 8.1 and not touch your D: recovery partition, but you need a min of 20GB free space for a x64 install.

I'm deleting my OEM D: recovery partitions in my Win 7 laptops and extending those so I just have the one main partition, but I've created the Recovery disks for each machine with which to factory reset should I want to after the 30 days Win 10 gives you to roll back and then I will be able to restore with the external system images I'll be creating before the upgrade.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi SUdo15
    That again is the reason for my question: If Win10 is successfully installed will it automatically look to create a new and separate recovery partition on the physical drive of the laptop or will it try to fit it into the currently existing partition created by Win 8.1? And if the latter is the case will it fail because there is not enough space on that partition? Or will it simply not bother to try to create a recovery partition and leave it to me to create one on a portable drive later?
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The reason you need 20GB of free space is that when it installs Win 10 in C: it will create a windows.old folder which will contain your previous OS so that you can use the 30 day rollback facility.

I don't know if after the 30 days the windows.old folder will remain and you have to manually delete it should you decide to keep Win 10 or whether Win 10 will do that - but it won't touch your D: recovery partition.

It may rewrite the system reserved partition which is the 300MB one Paul refers to in his post, which is different to an OEM Recovery partition.

If you go into Disk Management you'll see the three partitions for your OEM machine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

dwsolo (2015-07-31)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, that's clarified that:
    OK are there any ideas on the 1st question:
    When it becomes available online do I still need to change the language and location to USA Engish before installing or is that merely an issue with the ISO?
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When I've booted up with a Win 7 install disk to "Repair your computer" it has normally prompted you to change or confirm the language/keyboard.

There's been the odd time when I've inadvertently clicked on Next on the default US before changing to United Kingdom, but I don't think this had any adverse effect - whether it would be significant in an install - I don't know, but you would need to change the language/keyboard back to United Kingdom in both our cases after the install.

The update upgrade will auto detect your locale so I don't think you need to worry about that, but as yet I have neither experience of the update or the ISO install.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-07-31 at 06:33.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah but the point is that currently the ISO apparently requires the location/language to be changed to USA English no matter where on the globe you are. My question is whether the same requirement occurs for online updates which don't involve the ISO. Does anyone know?
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo