Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 ISO will not upgrade unless you have a licence key

This is something I think is lacking in MS strategy...

I downloaded the appropriate windows 10 Home installation ISO, and created a disk. Then I tried to install on my legal copy of Win8.1 Single Language from within Win8.1 (can't get to boot off a USB DVD) then I end up being asked for a Windows 10 Licence Key. I don't get the option of continuing to upgrade........... it just sits there waiting.... for me to give it a key.

Not cool! that's over 3Gb of data that I have just paid for and I can't use it. How do I proceed?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With Win 7 you would use the COA sticker key but with Win 8 it is embedded - perhaps those who have successfully upgraded with the ISO can tell you of their experience'

I saw this one in an article 8N67H-M3CY9-QT7C4-2TR7M-TXYCV but it won't be your Win 8 key.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try using Key Finder from Magical Jelly Bean (yes!) - https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

That should give you your Win 8 key.

Thanks
    You can't do a clean install without doing an upgrade install first unless you have a purchased separate product key. You can do an upgrade install by initiating the install from within your current qualified OS. Once you have done an upgrade install, you can skip the page asking for a product key if it comes up when you do a clean install.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You can't do a clean install without doing an upgrade install first unless you have a purchased separate product key. You can do an upgrade install by initiating the install from within your current qualified OS. Once you have done an upgrade install, you can skip the page asking for a product key if it comes up when you do a clean install.

Jerry
    Hi Jerry

Thanks for the response, but that does not work!

My laptop is a Samsung Book 8 with Windows 8.1 (Single Language). It works flawlessly - is activated as Win8.1, but has no optical drive.

I have requested the upgrade to Windows 10 around 2 months ago now, when it was first available. Other machines that had the request at the same time have had Windows 10 installed via upgrades, but not this machine.

I tried using the Windows Media Creation tool to create the Windows10 Home X64 disk to upgrade, but when I run the install from the Setup.exe on the disk, I am asked for a product key - and no option to skip!

I had a SSD drive die on me, and had to do a clean install on a new one from the Samsung images that were downloaded. Could this be the cause? Windows 8.1 is clearly activated.
    How do I get the upgrade, if it won't be downloading?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You need to use a USB thumb drive with the media creation tool. Then you can upgrade from within Windows 8.1.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post
    Not cool! that's over 3Gb of data that I have just paid for and I can't use it. How do I proceed?
    Where, how and why did you pay for it? Are you talking about the ISO itself or the bandwidth used for the 3GB?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Something you may want to look at before upgrading. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...lO3eEg&cad=rjt

I don't know how to do this on Win 8.1 but in Win 7 - go Start - type activate windows - press enter and that will report if Windows sees your install as genuine.

If it doesn't then you won't get the GWX free upgrade through Windows Update.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe

Is there a difference between using a Thumb Drive and the ISO cut to disk in an external USB drive? I assume that would be the same?

When I tried with the disk, I get to the point where I have to input a serial number, and there is no means of clicking next, or anything other than entering the serial number, or clicking close..... :-(

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi BBearen - I was referring to the 3Gb of bandwidth to download .............. not the disk or installation. thanks for checking.....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo

I do have a windows 8.1 fully activated. It is found off the System Properties page under Control Panel.

I have been through that document from Samsung on how to upgrade - and followed it all exactly. The system is fully up to date, with nothing pending. Still have the same problem!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should be able to use either CD or USB, it's access to the files that is required.

I'd ring MS at this point.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    According to Samsung, if your Windows 8.1 is 32bit, you may have driver issues. If so, this link is offered on their Windows 10 Upgrade site. Is this the instruction set you have followed?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @BBearen:
    I have 64 bit windows 8.1, and am trying to upgrade to 64bit windows 10.... Simply not working!

I have had a good look through the Samsung document you linked to, but it does not apply to my machine: it should upgrade easily!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'd second Paul's suggestion of contacting MS at this point as you seemed to have done everything you could from your end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast