Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Limited Internet connection

Hello everyone

Just wanted to ask for some help if someone would be kind to enough to point me in the right direction in case I am just missing the obvious. I have spent hours trying to solve this.

I have a dual band (2.4 and 5) TP link router/modem and connect to my android no bother at all. I then bought a new computer which has win8.1 on it (hoping to upgrade to 10 asap) but it will not connect to the internet. I say that but it actually does connect and has strong signal but shows the limited connection ! symbol. It says on the details IPv4 No internet IPv6 No internet. Have tried a number of things like changing adaptor driver, unchecking sleeping mode... cannot run cmd in administrator mode as windows is yet to be activated (wanting to do it online rather than by phone).

The strange bit (although it may provide some clues) is that as soon as I turn on the new computer and click on wireless is that it kills my internet connection with the android. Knocks it so that I have to reset the modem to factory settings and reconnect the modem with the new pc switched off.

Any ideas to try? Your time and responses are much appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Please do not post the same issue in two different places. We have a rule against that for a very good reason.

I have deleted your identical post in the Windows 8 section.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My apologies. Was unsure if this issue is due to networking or using 8.1 Windows which is why I posted twice. Sorry for any trouble

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try the new PC with an ethernet cable to find out if it's the PC or the wireless connection.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul... Have tried an Ethernet cable and for some reason it did not work? The odd thing I can't get my head around is that it knocks the Android connection off when the new computer goes on. Never came across anything like it... Its almost as if the adaptor has reconfigured the router to knock out the Android. Thanks for your help.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try the cable and check that the adapter is set to Automatic everything.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul... When a connect via the cable it just says access limited. I changed the adapter (realtec) from the Microsoft recommended. Still no joy after restart. When you say set everything automatic can you please elaborate? Do you mean on the router settings? Thank you for your time and guidance.
    PS it still messed up Android WiFi for a while there too.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update. Another afternoon of testing. Bought a new adapter and installed it on the new PC. It shows good signal and connection but Windows 8.1 still showing limited connectivity. Switched off firewall and disabled the other adapters in case there was conflict. No joy. Still messed up Android connection so rebooted router and configured back the Android which can only be done with new PC switched off.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    https://startpage.com/do/search?q=%2...fi&lui=english

Seems more a settings issue than a hardware one to me.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    "Automatic everything" means have the adapter set to obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically. The settings are found by following these instructions:
    1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Select Network and Internet.
    3. Select Network and Sharing Center.
    4. Select Change adapter settings.
    5. Right click on the ethernet adapter and select Properties.
    6. Scroll down to Internet Protocol Version 4 and select it.
    7. Click on Properties.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Tried the Ethernet cable again and followed your instructions Paul but sadly no joy. Still shows limited connectivity symbol.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As it's a brand new machine I would take it back.

Not being able to run a Command Prompt (Admin) means that you won't be able to run the usual cmds that can restore connectivity.

When you went into Device Manager to check for yellow alerts, did you click on View/Show hidden devices as this brings up Non-Plug and Play Drivers which has some of the Dependencies of the services required for connectivity.

You could go into services.msc and check that these services are as they should be, but the Wired AutoConfig tends to just show as Manual without being Started and in Win 8/8.1 when you wire up it auto switches the computer's wireless connection off.

Their start up type should be Automatic or Manual

COM+ Event System
    Computer Browser
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Network Connections
    Network Location Awareness
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Server
    TCP/IP Netbios helper
    Wired Autoconfig is set to manual.
    WLAN AutoConfig
    Workstation

Event Viewer may also have something DHCP related recorded.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks sudo15 for your reply. I initially thought I could not access cmd prompt in admin mode as when I first tried it, it wouldn't work and assumed that as I have yet to activate Windows 8.1 that was the reason. Have since though tried cmd prompt in admin mode and managed it so not sure what happened last time. No doubt missing obvious things in my frustration!
    On the Android when I test the router the ping default gateway and ping primary domain name server tests fail. Everything else is a pass e.g DNS root and NCSI. When I test the WAN interface connection everything is a pass apart from the ping default gateway.
    When I installed the new WiFi adapter on the new computer it works like a dream. It shows I am connected and getting really strong signal and speeds yet the limited ! Symbol is there and it constantly shows ipv4 no internet connection. There could be two issues... The router is not quite configured correctly and something blocking the new computer in accessing the internet. One masking the other and vice versa.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've never used a WiFi dongle so don't know if you have to configure it other than entering the router's password perhaps, but open the Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.text

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

Now reboot.

Did you check Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices for any yellow alerts ?

If you still can't get Internet connectivity, open a cmd prompt and enter ipconfig /all

Right click in the text area of the cmd window and click on Select all and press enter.

Open Notepad and paste into there which you can then SaveAS and copy across using something like a Flash drive to a working machine to copy & paste into the reply box.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi just wanted to say thank you for everyone's suggestions. Now resolved. Issue in short was the auto config settings on router. Now have everything up and running with new windows 10 working like a dream. Many thanks for the support.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cg77 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast