New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Media Center will download guide data but not update the guide

Not sure if I have the right forum for this topic - please move the thread if necessary. I have 2 Windows 7 machines with Media Center set up for local TV reception via 2 HDHomerun HDHR3-US tuner modules and 2 antennas. Media Center on both machines has been working fine for several years, but in the last few days I've had a problem with guide data. I go into the guide in MC and there is no guide info on the screen, just "No Data Available" messages on all the channels. A prompt says the guide data is only current for another 3 days and do I want to download the latest update. I do that and a prompt appears shortly saying the download was successful, but the screen never updates with the downloaded data - it just says data unavailable. If I go out of the guide and back in, the 3 day prompt starts the process all over again. I've seen references on several forums to guide data downloading problems (mostly 3 to 5 years old), with dozens of different fixes, none of which seems to work in all instances, but my situation seems to be related to updating the data, not downloading it. I can go into a channel and view it, but without the guide data cannot use the DVR functions or know what show is currently on that channel. I know Windows 10 will not include Media Center, but did Microsoft have to cripple it for those sticking with Windows 7? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
    Last edited by jt01; 2015-07-31 at 12:53. Reason: clarification

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The source data for WMC was recently changed. That has caused many issues. I believe Microsoft is working on a fix.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Limited information from Microsoft here: Electronic Program Guide (EPG) for Media Center updated (7/7/2015)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. From the above posts and some other references, I determined that Microsoft is changing providers for the WMC guide data and the transition has not been smooth. I was able to get 1 of my 2 Win7 machines to change providers by rerunning Settings >>Windows Media Center Setup, but the same procedure didn't work on the second machine. Apparently, Microsoft is doing a staggered rollout of the changeover, so maybe I will be able to switch my second machine at some point, we'll see.

However, I have an additional problem with the new provider. I live in the reception area for 2 different cities and have antennas pointed in each direction. But the new guide data provider will only allow me to get data for one or the other. If I enter my zip code in WMC setup, I get data for one city's stations. If I enter the zip code for the next town over closer to the other city, I only get city #2's data. The original guide data provider gave me the data for both cities, no problem.

Based on my research, my experience seems typical. I can only hope Microsoft is doing something to fix the situation.
    Last edited by jt01; 2015-08-01 at 18:29.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jt01 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok - one more update. I did the following on my second machine, which caused it to switch to the new guide data provider:

REBOOT YOUR PC and type the following command from your ehome directory:

start /wait mcupdate -u (wait until the icon disappears from your taskbar before re-loading Media Center)

NOTE: If you restored Windows Media Center to factory defaults then typing the command twice should update everything properly.

Run MC Setup

I set the second machine to the other city's zip code (see previous posts) and the guide data updated. Now I have to redo the recording schedule by what program is on which station on which computer. I should be able to access recorded programs on both machines as they're on the same homegroup. Kudos to Microsoft for forcing me to use 2 computers to do what formerly could be accomplished on one - anything to sell more copies of Windows.