5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Mode on Win 10... Is it possible?

Every once in a while, I need to run a program that won't work under Win 7 (64) or beyond. On my laptop, I have XP Mode (virtual machine) setup for that. Two questions...

If I were to upgrade the laptop, would XP Mode be disabled or would it still work?

If I were to get a new laptop with Win10, could I move the virtual drive (VHD) over and run it? IOW, does Win10 come with Virtual PC the way Win7 did?

Thanks
    Windows 10 supports virtualization natively, but the Windows 7 Virtual Machine (and XP Mode with it) are incompatible. If you have a valid XP Product Key, you can install an XP VM in Windows 10. IRRC, XP Mode was coded specifically for the Windows 7 Virtual Machine. I don't know whether it will transfer to Windows 10 virtualization.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Windows 10 supports virtualization natively, but the Windows 7 Virtual Machine (and XP Mode with it) are incompatible. If you have a valid XP Product Key, you can install an XP VM in Windows 10.
    If I follow, there is no native VM that's a part of Win10. It would be necessary to use a third party VM software? I can do that if needed - I just have to hope I've still got a copy of XP around somewhere.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    If I follow, there is no native VM that's a part of Win10. It would be necessary to use a third party VM software? I can do that if needed - I just have to hope I've still got a copy of XP around somewhere.
    There is virtualization in Windows 10, it's called Hyper-V just as in Windows 8.1. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and click on "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left pane. Look for "Hyper-V" in the box that pops up and put checks in the appropriate boxes.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, so, there is VM but it's different than in Win7 so a VHD from that won't work with Win10?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    OK, so, there is VM but it's different than in Win7 so a VHD from that won't work with Win10?
    I haven't tried that, so I don't know for sure. Perhaps someone who has will chime in here with better information. It's seems that a .vhd should be transferable, but I just can't say for certain.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    There is virtualization in Windows 10, it's called Hyper-V just as in Windows 8.1. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and click on "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left pane. Look for "Hyper-V" in the box that pops up and put checks in the appropriate boxes.
    Only in the Pro, 64-bit edition (and requires hardware virtualization support; like Windows 8.1, but not Windows 7 Virtual PC).
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-07-31 at 19:23.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You could certainly get it to work in a roundabout way if VMWare player has been updated to be compatible with W10. The method involves converting XPMode to a VMWare machine using VMWare player 3.0 and then simply copying it over to W10 and using it in the latest version of VMWare player.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You may be able to get it to work but it is a license violation. XP mode was specially created and supplied to Win7 Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate users. It is not licensed to be used anywhere else.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd recommend using VirtualBox, which is free. You may even be able to run an existing XP Mode machine with it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Same question, Part II...

I have a Win7 Pro computer that has XP Mode setup. Can I assume that if I upgrade to Win10, that will disappear?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Yes, it will be gone.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Yes, it will be gone.
    Thought so but it never hurts to ask.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    @F.U.N. downtown: The latest Version of VMWare (V12) is compatible with Windows 10
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    The latest Version of VMWare (V12) is compatible with Windows 10
    And I believe VirtualBox is as well, but neither of those will work with my existing XP Mode virtual machine. So if I upgrade to Win10, I will need to have a licensed copy of XP and will have to set that up and reinstall the programs in it, etc, etc.

This is a place where Microsoft really dropped the ball, if you ask me. They had a decent enough app in Virtual PC and XP Mode was handy for some. To throw it under the bus the way they did doesn't make a lot of sense.

I get wanting to move to something better but I'm not sure I get why they couldn't have used or updated V-PC .vhd files in Hyper-V. Or is there a way to do this that I am unaware of? Sounds like a new project, but it's going to have to wait.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-10-23 at 09:23.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware