Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

A bit lame-brained, I am...

So let me get this right: If I installed the RTM of Windows 10 over a Windows 7 bare install, and it is showing as "Product is activated" when I right-click My Computer, even though there is no product ID# showing, I'm all set and good to go, yes?

Assuming that, I downloaded and set to boot an ISO of the RTM. But it has no Product ID, so, if I needed to "bare install", I would need to do what?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    You are good to go. You need to do nothing once you have successfully upgraded a machine. If you need to do a clean install just skip the part about a key and Windows will activate online automatically.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, THAT'S cool! How the H--- (no, I said heck) will MS know that I am an Insider Orr previously upgraded user?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    It's frigging magic.

Joe

Thanks
    Aren't we the court jester?!

Well, if I have to come back because it didn't work, I'mma gonna say "Joe told me it was OK!
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2015-07-31 at 22:10.

Thanks
    I have had software -- and still do -- that, if I were to format the drive or reinstall the O/S, I would have to go back to to company for a new registration number. Wonder why they can't do what MS has (apparently) done with "10"?

Chuck

Thanks
    What version of frigging magic should I look for on my daughter's Win-8 laptop? No upgrade offer or notice has been received, I do not believe. Can I just install the RTM version over W-8? Will it then be able to be clean installed as well?

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you reserve Win10 in that machine?

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    What version of frigging magic should I look for on my daughter's Win-8 laptop? No upgrade offer or notice has been received, I do not believe. Can I just install the RTM version over W-8? Will it then be able to be clean installed as well?

Chuck
    The first thing I do is check that the computer is running Windows 8.1 to get the free Upgrade, not 8.0. Then I assure Win8.1 is fully up-to-date, run a full antivirus scan and antimalware scan to assure it's clean and check Device Manager to see that no devices are showing a problem. I've done the same with 2 Win7 w/SP1 computers, 1 Desktop and 1 Notebook. I've had a couple of times the GWX icon shows in Notification Area not long after doing updates but have also had it show up 2 or 3 days later, all depending upon when it's connected to the Internet. I'm doing my 5th personal now on a fine little Gateway SFF that came with Win8.1 [probable will sell it later].

Thanks
    Berton, I think what I will do then with her machine is back it all up, re-install her Windows 8 and then upgrade to 8.1. Then we'll see what happens.

Chuck

Thanks
    I didn't receive a reservation, Joe. I signed up with Insider and went from there. I'm losing track a bit on this thread, so if I am repeating myself, I apologize: I joined through the Insider program, downloaded the preview, and then on to the RTM. I installed the RTM over a vanilla activated Windows 7, and now it is showing as activated with a P.I.D. Number that is NOT all zeros any longer.

Is THAT the number I should keep in case of needing a clean install?

As for my daughter's machine, as I mentioned to Berton here in this post, I am going to start over with her machine, reinstall "8" and then upgrade to 8.1, and then see what happens. I do believe I ran a backup on her machine when I first got it, so maybe I'll be a little lucky.

As for my granddaughter's, I'm not certain I have a "bare" backup, so then how can I get to that point with her's?

Chuck

Thanks
    I think, Berton, that I have a backup of my daughter's "base machine" -- and my granddaughter's -- and I'll start from there and follow a version of what you did.

Chuck

Thanks
    Did I *what* Joe?

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Chuck,

You need to have different threads about different PCs. It is too hard to figure out which you are talking about.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    On any legal Win7 or Win8.1 machine if you do an upgrade and it is activated you don't need to worry about a key. Microsoft will record a device-id for each PC and will use that to reactivate Windows if you do a clean install.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast