Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

File Explorer does not launch

I have Intel i7-3770, Gigabyte mobo ga-z77-d3h, SSD-Samsung256ProSata3, 16 gb DDR3.

Installed Win 10 last night and a few hours later lost the ability to launch File Explorer. Does anyone have an idea why?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings.
    There are many ways to launch FE. Did you try them all ? The third icon from the left on the Taskbar, or go to Start -> File E. is the top one. Then again, Open C:\ and 2-click on it.
    Got to have the explorer spirit. All best wishes. Jean.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

russell shelton (2015-08-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jean. Have tried those two methods and they don't work. the only work around I've found is to go thru a google drive shortcut on the desktop. Jumplist items don't launch it either. Really don't want a work around, would like the FE icon in taskbar to work.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Russell, hello again.
    Using the above mentioned procedures, did you get it to come up on your screen, ie: can you work it at all or not ?

All best wishes. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing comes up on the screen using either of the two methods, ie, taskbar icon or start menu. Thanks

Thanks
    What if you go to the run dialog (WinKey+R,) type in c:\ and press OK? Also Press CtrlShiftEscape to bring up the taskmanager. Click File in the menu and then Run Task. Launch explorer.exe from there. It will relaunch explorer the same way as in Windows7. If your explorer does not launch you might have a more serious problem (bad ram, bad disk). But the procedure to relaunch explorer is not different from Windows7.
    Last edited by djohnson; 2015-08-01 at 18:16.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    D, it does not run this way in W-10. I tried it as it seemed a fine way to work Task Manager.

All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    What doesn't run that way in Windows 10? Djohnson's instructions work in Windows 10 for me.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, my many apologies. I had missed a step in this procedure, it does indeed run as DJ mentioned. But what a convoluted way to get to Explorer ! Right click on C:\ -> Open, is all that is needed, methinks. Or again, two-click on C:\. I like it as simple as possible.

All best wishes. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all. winkey+r, c:\ works great. after first time its just winkey+r, enter. fast work around.

in mean time, flashed mobo bios (should have done this first) and FE icon in taskbar still doesn't work.

oh, and bringing up c:\ is fine, but right clicking on any folder in either left or right pane kills explorer and it disappears from screen.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Created c: shortcut on desktop and this is very fast. FE still hangs (disappears) whenever Rt Clk on any folder, either pane.

Shoulda mentioned I put in Samsung 256 gb SSD (before the win 10 install, worked great for years)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You have me dazzled, Russell. I did as you described, "Open" after a C:\ or two clicks on a folder and all opens up. It obviously is a stump in your machine not in Win-10. At a distance, we are unable to help you much, try hard as we can.

Might I suggest a return to your previous OS and then try W-10 again ??? You have the option in Reset, methinks.

Al best wishes. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to the reset to win 7 but I think because of the ssd the win 7 files weren't saved, so it wouldn't let me do that. I tried a one month old image and for some reason to do with UEFI, that would not work. so here I sit with a win 10 computer and the only way to go back is to load win 7 from scratch along with all my programs (AutoCAD, adobe cs6 and myriad others). I went against what win secrets said and put my main computer at risk migrating to win 10 before the bugs were worked out and that was foolish on my part. Make an image of yer win 7 system just minutes before you load win 10!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Have you tried a Win10 reset?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just checked out a win 10 reset and it will require I reinstall about 45 programs and autocad (20) and their many updates. whew, I didn't want to do that right yet. I'll put off the reset for a month or two and hopefully MS will fix some bugs. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast