Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Boot Problem

Yesterday I upgraded Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro and had no problem doing so. Originally I was dual booting Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro on separate SSD drives. Today my PC boots to the "öld" Win 10 disk, which I want to format, instead of the "new" Win 10 disk. How can I sort this out?

URGENT help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Try going into BIOS and set the boot priority to have the new Windows 10 disk listed first.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks. I used EasyBCD to edit the boot priority, and after several attempts managed to get it right. I formatted the "old" Win 10 disk, and now can choose between booting from the new Win 10 disk or the Macrium Reflect Recovery Environment.

I now have another problem. I cannot open any emails in my various Windows Live Mail Folders. When I try to open them I am told a problem occurred, and to try again, which makes no difference. Can you please give me a link to contact Microsoft Support about this? (I have tried everything I can think of, including using the repair option in Programs and Features,uninstalling/reinstalling WLM,and restoring an up to date backup of Windows Live Mail).
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    You could try
    click on the start icon
    type Contact Support
    Click on Services and Apps
    Click on Windows
    Click on Technical Support
    Click on Call as soon as possible

Jerry

Thanks
    or you may need easybcd if that does not succeed.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    David, thanks but see my post #3.

Roy Whitethread

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks. I managed to chat to Technical Support, but they said I should ask the Microsoft Community Forum. I have done so but have had no reply as yet.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    David, thanks but see my post #3.
    oops so sorry for the noise!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears to me Windows 10 doesn’t support Windows Live Mail
    Supported Operating System: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista Service Pack 2

Windows Live Mail 2011
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=29224

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    It appears to me Windows 10 doesn’t support Windows Live Mail
    Supported Operating System: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista Service Pack 2

Windows Live Mail 2011
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=29224
    My WLM works fine on Windows 10 after an upgrade from 8.1.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trev For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-08-02)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Trev, I’m glad to know WLM works fine for you and I hope my WLM works fine when I update to Windows 10 from Windows 7
    --- In that link that I posted the system requirements do not include Windows 8.1 or Windows 10
    --- OK so maybe it’s because it’ for Windows Live Mail 2011

So I looked up Windows Essentials 2012 system requirements
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...m-requirements
    Operating system: 32- or 64-bit version of Windows 7, or 32- or 64-bit version of Windows 8, or Windows Server 2008 R2. Windows 8 is included but no Windows 10.

Unfortunately I can’t find any MSFT links indicating WLM is compatible with Windows 10. Fortunately we know it works thanks to Trev.

Although its too late now I thought I would throw this in
    I followed up with Windows Live Mail with Win 10?
    http://www.tenforums.com/browsers-em...-win-10-a.html
    Post #3:
    Yes. I am using it now. FYI, After you install WLM, what you could do is to copy the whole content of:
    C:\Users\<userlogin>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windo ws Live Mail
    from your Windows 8.1 to the same place in Windows 10 then run WLM. Everything will be there ie. Your emails, accounts etc...
    EDIT: Another thing you need to do is to export your Email Contacts from Windows 8.1 to a csv file then from Windows 10, import it back.

On “I managed to chat to Technical Support, but they said I should ask the Microsoft Community Forum”
    --- That astounds me that Microsoft Technical Support led you to ask the Microsoft Community Forum
    --- That indicates to me that that there isn’t a direct answer but there are work arounds or the luck of the draw: who knows at this point

With all of that said, until I find something positive from Microsoft, it appears to me WLM does not natively run on Windows 10

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You may have to try a new account, it seems to be working for me but I just installed it to Win 10 where previously it did not exist. A different problem surfaced in the process of installing essentials though; the taskbar will neither autohide nor bump up the program window above the taskbar if taken off autohide. Rebooted and it seemed to correct but then I re-enabled autohide...taskbar did...and now the taskbar will not come back up for love or money, so caveat emptor!

p.s. I also have Classic Shell installed and that may not be fully compatible by the looks of it so that could have something to do with the situation as well as malfunctioning tray notifications.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2015-08-03 at 02:10.

Thanks
    Windows Live mail also works fine on my Windows 10 laptop and desktop systems. The upgrade install kept my contacts and mail folders as well.

Jerry

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-08-03)