Thanks

No Refresh option in WIN10.

I noticed there is no Refresh option in my Win10, only Reset. I'm not ready for a Refresh only checking all the settings, so I tried to create a Refresh.wim but the command prompt replies with "Recimg is not recognised an internal or external command". Google showed the recovery settings the same as WIN8.1 and also the Create Refresh Image commands as the same also. Can someone shed light on this please.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think Microsoft forgot it, because this information makes no sense: Refresh is part of reset in Windows 10

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Even this better version says "refresh" will keep settings and store apps, although the screen says they'll be removed: Refresh Windows 10

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

Seems straight forward to me:

1. Settings
    2. Update & Security
    3. Recovery
    4. Reset this PC
    5. Select: Keep my files... or Remove everything

For some reason I can't capture the final screen with the Snipping tool.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-08-01 at 10:28. Reason: Misread article removed quote
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Win 8.1 the Refresh option states that your personal files AND WINDOWS STORE apps will be kept but all other apps will be removed. If Win 10 works the same way you are better off with a good image backup.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Seems straight forward to me:

1. Settings
    2. Update & Security
    3. Recovery
    4. Reset this PC
    5. Select: Keep my files... or Remove everything
    Yes, but does it keep or remove apps? Microsoft don't seem to be able to make up their minds about that.

Refresh on Windows 8/8.1 did not remove any store apps, and also retained all personalized settings.

I thought we had learnt that recovery options were going to be improved on Windows 10.

This seems like a step backwards. They also removed the recimg command recently.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

All I can say is "Macrium Reflect" or your third-party Imaging product of choice. Don't rely on Windows!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Yes, but does it keep or remove apps? Microsoft don't seem to be able to make up their minds about that.
    From what I have read it will retain MetroApps (cloud??) but clobber any other.
    Best advice as always keep your images up to date.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nate01pa View Post
    In Win 8.1 the Refresh option states that your personal files AND WINDOWS STORE apps will be kept but all other apps will be removed. If Win 10 works the same way you are better off with a good image backup.
    Yes I have to agree with this nate01,and as Retired Geek says Macrium Reflex comes to mind,I'm thinking it's worth while looking at the paid version in the near future. Shame they removed the recimg command although it does use a lot of space on small disk's such as my 128 gb C drive. Thanks for all the links about my Refresh question, lets wait and see how people get on with the Refresh, or should I say Reset. You would have to be brave to try that at this point in time unless you have nothing to lose.
    Just spotted the "It will retain the Metro Apps (cloud??)", comment which is something.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe Microsoft made a grievous error when they did not include RECIMG in Windows 10. Don't get me wrong, I truly like Windows 10, but the decision to exclude RECIMG makes absolutely no sense. I know all about making regular backups--I use Acronis for this purpose. But, I also know that RECIMG made for a simple way to preserve all of one's programs, not just those purchased from the Microsoft Store or that came with the computer, as well as completely refresh/restore the system. It was a layer of protection that I appreciated. I understand that RECIMG worked in earlier releases before the final product and that it suddenly stopped. I searched the general internet as well as the Microsoft site. There is no helpful information out there and Microsoft is silent on the issue and not responding to queries. Either Microsoft simply forgot to include RECIMG or they consciously decided to delete it. In either case shame on them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elgercee View Post
    I believe Microsoft made a grievous error when they did not include RECIMG in Windows 10. Don't get me wrong, I truly like Windows 10, but the decision to exclude RECIMG makes absolutely no sense. I know all about making regular backups--I use Acronis for this purpose. But, I also know that RECIMG made for a simple way to preserve all of one's programs, not just those purchased from the Microsoft Store or that came with the computer, as well as completely refresh/restore the system. It was a layer of protection that I appreciated. I understand that RECIMG worked in earlier releases before the final product and that it suddenly stopped. I searched the general internet as well as the Microsoft site. There is no helpful information out there and Microsoft is silent on the issue and not responding to queries. Either Microsoft simply forgot to include RECIMG or they consciously decided to delete it. In either case shame on them.
    Absolutely well said,I agree with that,I like WIN10 but shame on them for leaving RECIMG out.