New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows 8.1 refresh

I have a asus laptop running win 8.1. This is all new to me as i used xp pro and win7 and these computers came with a disc with the o/s on it. I have discovered that win 8 is on the hd in a partition and that is where the greek comes in.

This is new to me. I made a recovery drive on a usb drive. When i tried to use it to refresh my o/s without losing any work it was invalid. When i tried to refresh from the tools section it was reported that there were missing files.

Is there a resolution to this.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated and i would like to thank all responders in advance.

Doug

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dthrasher View Post
    I have a asus laptop running win 8.1. This is all new to me as i used xp pro and win7 and these computers came with a disc with the o/s on it. I have discovered that win 8 is on the hd in a partition and that is where the greek comes in.

This is new to me. I made a recovery drive on a usb drive. When i tried to use it to refresh my o/s without losing any work it was invalid. When i tried to refresh from the tools section it was reported that there were missing files.

Is there a resolution to this.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated and i would like to thank all responders in advance.

Doug
    Your problem may be that the recovery drive you made is Windows 8 but you are actually running Windows 8.1. Open Control Panel, select System and Security, then select System. If you see Windows 8.1, then you will need to get a copy of this version before trying a Refresh.

Are you having problems that a Refresh might solve? A Refresh will keep your personal files and settings but remove all non-Windows Store apps.

Thanks

For the missing files you have to create a Refresh.wim. You do this by right clicking bottom left icon and open Command Prompt (admin) then print mkdir C:\RefreshImage Then Hit enter,then print,
    recimg -CreateImage C:/RefreshImage Then Hit enter
    You can then Refresh your PCRefresh set up in command prompt.png
    After you upgrade to WIN10 you no longer have to have a Refresh.wim to refresh your PC.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-08-12 at 05:05.