2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dual-boot Question with Ubuntu

Dual-boot question

Before I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 am wondering if this will spoil my dual-boot system.

I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu on the same hard drive, and select which operating system when booting. This means that GRUB 2 controls the boot-up, which has written in the MBR.

Will upgrading to Windows 10 spoil this?

I have looked on the Ubuntu help pages but they offer a host of contradictory information.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows will definitely overwrite GRUBs boot information. I have a dual boot Ubuntu/Windows system and signed up for the Windows 10 Technical Preview. Consequently I got used to restoring GRUB after a Windows install.

1. Make sure that you have a Live CD for the version of Ubuntu that you run.

2. After you have installed Windows 10 boot using the Live CD.

3. I used a utility called Boot-Repair to repair GRUB. You can download after you boot using the Live CD. Do a search on Ubuntu GRUB repair after Windows install to find it.

My system is a classical BIOS system. If you have a UEFI system you may want to test the Live CD to be sure it works before you start.

I hope this helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much. I guessed that would be the case, but it is really helpful to know in advance.