Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium versus Acronis

I have been using Acronis True Image Home for a number of years and recently upgraded to the 2015 version.

I find the User Interface clumsy and not very intuitive.

I have downloaded the new version of Macrium Reflect Free and it seems to be much easier to use.

I would appreciate Lounge members' opinions on these two programs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Nate,

As a long time user of Acronis TI who switched to Macrium Reflect, first Free now Premium, I don't think I need say more. However, one note, as a Premium user, I don't see a whole lot of value here for the Home user. For most home users I'd recommend the Free version. That said, if you tinker w/hardware or replace you machines often the Premium "restore to different" hardware feature is well worth the cost! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another convert from Acronis to Macrium, and, yes, I think that Premium (four licences) was worth it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nate01pa View Post
    I have been using Acronis True Image Home for a number of years and recently upgraded to the 2015 version.

I find the User Interface clumsy and not very intuitive.

I have downloaded the new version of Macrium Reflect Free and it seems to be much easier to use.

I would appreciate Lounge members' opinions on these two programs.
    The ATI interface is clunky, I too have the 2015 version and will not be using it for a while as I am reinstalling W7 slowly after BSODs that did not yield to trouble shooting. I am using a USB boot to run Macrium free.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm still on TI 2014 and as all my backups are in TI format I won't be changing.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    This is the version I use, it does all I want it to do when I want it done. It does everything perfectly. Never saw the need to upgrade.

RR.PNG

I tried Macrium, it tried to do what it wanted when it wanted. Can't remember version apart from being free.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For me, it was no contest. As I have detailed previously on this board, Acronis TI wouldn't work on my W7 desktop. Acronis's support worked hard to try to resolve my issue (going up 3 levels of their support structure) with no joy.

Macrium Free worked out of the box for me. I was (and still am) so happy, I bought the Pro version.

My regularly-taken images have saved me more than once.

Dick

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A long time ago I ran into problems with heavy-handed more automated later versions after 2009 Acronis program versions, finally after purchasing Win 64 bit Lapto,p i found I could no longer use True Home Image 2009 and though had paid for two later versions dumped them, after heads-up on here moved to Macrium Free, and was very pleased with the program particularly its ability to copy/clone Hard Drive onto a new a Hard Drive which I have tucked one away for a rainy-day as backup.

I then purchased Reflect full version and am happy that its backing up ok, though was bit concerned what grandfather and grandson actually meant, and its ability to correctly backup Outlook 2007 so also purchased Outback Plus 9 which appears to handle Outlook backups very well.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to say i was very unhappy on occasion i attempted to use Seagate Disk Manager program as it attempted to uninstall True Home Image 2009 because apparently Acronis has taken over what had otherwise been a good disk managing program

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Recently replaced True Image Home 2014 with Reflect 6 Free and am very happy with it.

I found it a lot more intuitive to set up than Acronis, where I had to resort to the forum and an expert's post on how to go about choosing a suitable backup routine. With Reflect I just chose one of the backup types they presented, set the backup frequency and was good to go.

Thanks
    One thing which has put me more solidly into the Macrium Reflect camp than before is that Version 6 has recently improved their bootable WinPE Rescue environment. I have a tablet, and its display doesn't show the whole screen. Parts at the bottom and the right edge get cut off.

EaseUS ToDo Backup recently rearranged their WinPE splash screen to put the Browse for Recovery Image button at the very bottom of the screen. This makes the option totally inaccessible on my tablet's screen under this WinPE environment. No way to resize the window, either.

Macrium Reflect free version 6 has added the ability within its WinPE rescue environment to resize its main window. Not that I've had to do this -- the layout is complete, even with a cropped screen image. Also, Reflect has added features to its Windows Explorer under WinPE. Both for archives and for a still-readable hard drive, this is a blessing.

I haven't used Acronis products for a long time, so I can't compare these or other features with the Acronis products. But the improved Macrium Reflect features have made me more committed than ever to this backup and recovery product.

So while Acronis True Image Home may do a few more things than Macrium Reflect Free, I like dedicating one program to do one type of job. And use other programs to do the other, sometimes unrelated, tasks which Acronis has been including in their products lately.
    -- Bob Primak --

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I currently have the paid version of True Image 2014. I have not installed it on my computer, but instead, I run it from the boot disk that I burned from the ISO that I downloaded. I have had no problem creating disk images and saving them to an external hard drive. I have not yet had occasion to restore an image back to my computer hard drive.

I would like to try the free version of Macrium Reflect, but I would like to use it in the same manner as I use True Image. That is, I do not want to install it on my computer, but would like the ability to burn a bootable CD/DVD (not a USB drive) and run the program from there. Does Macrium have this capability?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought True Image in 2009, upgrading every year. I found it had a completely different, and very complex interface on Windows 10. I've done some backups and restores with Macrium free, and I'm sold. Have to save Acronis to preserve the usefulness of some backups made with it, but when I have too much time on my hands, I might restore them and back up witn Macrium.

I agree that using the Acronis boot disk works very well.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    I would like to try the free version of Macrium Reflect, but I would like to use it in the same manner as I use True Image. That is, I do not want to install it on my computer, but would like the ability to burn a bootable CD/DVD (not a USB drive) and run the program from there. Does Macrium have this capability?
    Yes it does.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    I currently have the paid version of True Image 2014. I have not installed it on my computer, but instead, I run it from the boot disk that I burned from the ISO that I downloaded. I have had no problem creating disk images and saving them to an external hard drive. I have not yet had occasion to restore an image back to my computer hard drive.

Install Macrium Reflect Free, then burn the CD of its WinPE Rescue Disk, and you should be able to use the Rescue CD in place of the installed program. Maybe a few features would go missing, but it's a fairly complete environment.

An alternative is Aomei's PEBuilder, with its own (less robust) BackerUpper program:
    http://www.aomeitech.com/pe-builder.html

Aomei includes other handy system rescue tools in its prebuilt WinPE envirnment. To conserve RAM usage, tools can be deselected when building the USB environment. The site's illustration shows disks as well as USB, so I presume the program can be built onto DVD as well as USB. Haven't tried the tools myself, but some folks seem to be impressed.
    http://www.ghacks.net/2014/09/25/cre...ei-pe-builder/
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast