2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

Win 10 Pro for $95 (w/ free PC)? Memory?

1) Upgrade to Win 10 Pro for short money? Newegg is selling a Leveno PC with Win 7 Pro for $95 after $20 rebate. Is there any problem with upgrading to Win 10 Pro for free (or $95)?
    • Refurbished: Lenovo Desktop Computer M57 Core 2 Duo 2.3GHz 3GB 160GB HDD Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit
      • Memory specs for the MB are: DDR2 533/677/800 OR PC2-5300 or 6400, 4 sockets, comes with 3GB, capacity 8GB - I don't know if these specs are for one MB (two MB codes are represented)

2) How much memory does Win 10 want/need/work-best-with? I have not been paying attention, and I could not find it easily when I searched.

3) The Lenovo PC - So, that makes me curious about the PC itself - how does it compare to my current (ancient) PC?
    • Dell XPS 630i, Core2 Quad 2.40, 4GB 800 DDR2 (8GB max), Win XP Pro)
    • Lenovo, Core2 Quad 2.30, 3GB ??? (speed not specified) DDR2 (8GB max)

It seems to me that this low-level PC is just about equal to my yesteryear powerhouse. The Lenovo HD is small, but I have two 500GB HD's in my current system that I have yet to start using.

As always, thank you for your consideration.

Thanks
    M57 Core 2 Duo 2.3GHz 3GB
    ~ half your Core 2 Quad; using more than ~3.5GB RAM means a 64-bit version of Windows is needed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    hobkirk,

One thing to be careful of is which versioin of windows 10 are you getting? If it's the OEM version it will be tied to that Lenovo machine and if it proves underpowered you're out of luck! As they used to say "An educated consumer is our best customer!" HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    hobkirk,

One thing to be careful of is which versioin of windows 10 are you getting? If it's the OEM version it will be tied to that Lenovo machine and if it proves underpowered you're out of luck! As they used to say "An educated consumer is our best customer!" HTH
    I am asking in this forum because you guys know all this stuff! I don't.

What does Microsoft do when they upgrade? I assume the Lenovo comes with OEM version, but does that mean it is intrinsically tied to a Lenovo PC? (Somewhat embarrassed that I hadn't thought of that.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    ~ half your Core 2 Quad; using more than ~3.5GB RAM means a 64-bit version of Windows is needed.
    OK, I did not notice the "Duo" because I thought all "Core 2" CPU's were quad. Oops on me

Is there a 32-bit version of Win 10 Pro? I just assumed they'd all be 64-bit. And, admitting more ignorance, I did not know that 32-bit versions had lower RAM limits.

Thank you much

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    hobkirk,

Yes, if it is the OEM or System Builder version it is tied to the hardware and can not be moved to a new machine and will sometimes fail to re-activate if you do drastic repairs like a new motherboard. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

hobkirk (2015-08-01)