Thread: HDD locked?

Lounger
    Thanks

HDD locked?

I'm trying to restore my pc without losing my files and would like to create an image. The computer can't find the recovery environment so I'm using my installation disk. But then I'm told that Windows can't perform the task because the disk is locked and write protected. But, I can read and write files to the C drive. Also, Windows 10 will not download and install because "the disk is write protected". I used diskpart to check the volume and got the following:

Current Read-only State: No
    Read-Only: No
    Boot Disk: Yes
    Pagefile Disk: Yes
    Hibernation File Disk: No
    Crashdump Disk: Yes
    Clustered Disk: No

Anyone know what's going on?

Computer:
    HP Pavilion a1020n Windows 8.1 Pro
    32 bit Operating System
    Processor Pentium 4 CPU 3.06 GHz
    HDD 90GB partition 38 GB free
    Automatic Updates (IF there's an SP1 it has not installed)
    RAM 3.26 GB DDR2

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I recommend using a free 3rd party backup / image program like Macrium Reflect. I've never had a problem creating an image with it. You can either install it in Windows - best option - or create a CD/USB and boot from that.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    Thanks for your reply. I do use Macrium and have a current image. However, that doesn't solve the problem of why the disk is locked and how to unlock it. For example, I'd like to install Windows 10 on this machine but it won't install because the disk is locked.

Thanks
    How are you running the install disk?
    Is the disk using any encryption schemes ?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not using an install disk. Windows 10 is trying to download and install as per my Windows 10 request to Microsoft. I can probably install Windows 10 using the Microsoft Windows Creation Tool but I would really like to understand this current problem. As I indicated previously, if I understand Diskpart it indicates that the volume is not locked. Very confusing.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Maybe the disk that is locked is not C:? Do you have any other disks?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Good thought, Paul. Windows 10 tries to install on the system boot drive. But, just for completion, I ran Diskpart on all my partitions with the same result. Nothing is "read-only" so, apparently, the disk is not locked. Also, I can read the Volume and write to the Volume. It just won't allow me to make a refresh image or install Windows 10. I've run Avast and Malwarebytes just in case there's some malware playing games. They came up negative. But thanks anyhow for your effort.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Is the message incorrect, do you have enough free space?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    chkdsk time maybe?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 36 GB free space and chkdsk shows no errors. I do think the error messages, disk locked and write protected, are wrong but I don't know how to determine that. The Windows 10 installation program must be reading something that tells it the disk is "write protected" because that's what it claims and won't install the program. There must be a flag of some sort in the registry that causing this error.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you tried with your anti virus turned off?

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you have an 8.1 ISO install disk to boot up with, you can try these cmds -

Bootrec /fixMBR

Bootrec /fixBoot

Bootrec /rebuildBCD

If you don't have an install disk, there's a section in this article that will help you to create the bootable media.

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructi...8-and-8-1.html

If it's BitLocker encrypted then perhaps this article will help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/w...rotected-drive

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aldagoag View Post
    Good thought, Paul. Windows 10 tries to install on the system boot drive. But, just for completion, I ran Diskpart on all my partitions with the same result. Nothing is "read-only" so, apparently, the disk is not locked. Also, I can read the Volume and write to the Volume. It just won't allow me to make a refresh image or install Windows 10. I've run Avast and Malwarebytes just in case there's some malware playing games. They came up negative. But thanks anyhow for your effort.
    A drive being read-only has nothing to do with being locked. For example, when you run chkdsk, it will lock the drive so it has exclusive access to it. Apparently, you have some other software that is running on your system that is doing the same thing - locking the drive for exclusive access.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.epper View Post
    A drive being read-only has nothing to do with being locked. For example, when you run chkdsk, it will lock the drive so it has exclusive access to it. Apparently, you have some other software that is running on your system that is doing the same thing - locking the drive for exclusive access.
    Do you have BIT Locker installed? Some OEMs do this

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you are trying to do an "upgrade" as opposed to a clean install, then 38GB may not be enough as Win10 makes a complete stored copy of the present 90GB partition (containing 52GB) so you can revert back to the old partition (OS) the way it was should you decide Win10 is not your thing along with temporary storage of files and settings as they presently are.

The solution would be to expand the boot partition (non-destructively) into a fairly empty partition. You can also try to recover some space via disk cleanup or ccleaner by removing apps no longer used and temp files. If no such space existed then you would need to clone the present system to a bigger drive and then swap them.

That is an decade plus old P4 desktop with no video slot (Intel 915GV onboard graphics) that came with XP:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/.../product-info/

I am impressed 32-bit Win8.1Pro runs well upon it.

Thanks for the description of your system; it was helpful.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-08-12 at 12:55. Reason: solution or test my hypothesis