Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 bandwidth

Haven't gotten the upgrade notice yet. Someone sent me this link from a Kim Komando article. It says that Win 10 enlists your computer for torrent transfers to other Win 10 users to spread updates.

Seems hard to believe that they would do this without first asking permission and as indicated in the article this would be a problem for those with limited bandwidth.

http://www.komando.com/happening-now...rticle_1-title

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's not secret though, as that headline claims: Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand that the information exists. It does concern me that it is turned on by default with no warning.

The average user simply isn't going to know about this and not everyone online has unlimited monthly data.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If you have a metered connection and Windows 10 knows about it Delivery Optimization is not used.

Joe

Thanks
    I see nothing that addresses MS use of a PC to serve up updates.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I see nothing that addresses MS use of a PC to serve up updates.
    Per the link that BruceR gave here is a quote from the FAQ.

Delivery Optimization downloads the same updates and apps that you get through Windows Update and the Windows Store. Delivery Optimization creates a local cache, and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Depending on your settings, Windows then send parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files.

Thanks
    Yup just reread that and was going to delete my post,

Quote Originally Posted by jcgc50 View Post
    Per the link that BruceR gave here is a quote from the FAQ.

Delivery Optimization downloads the same updates and apps that you get through Windows Update and the Windows Store. Delivery Optimization creates a local cache, and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Depending on your settings, Windows then send parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.