4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What to do with these folders?

I have a desktop and a laptop computer, both were running Win 7 Pro 6, SP-1, 64.

I got the GetW10 icon in the systray on both computers, but the one on the laptop (but not the desktop) disappeared on July 29.

I burned a W10 installation disk using the Media Creation tool made available by Microsoft, and used it to install W10 on the laptop several days after the release (it was a trouble-free update).

I'm not planning to update the desktop to W10 for the time being, while I play with it on the laptop. I uninstalled KB3035583 to get rid of the systray icon on the desktop computer. However, I noticed that I have 2 hidden folders in my C:/ partition on the desktop, labelled $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS. These were apparently put there, I assume, in anticipation of the W10 upgrade. It must have happened as a result of one of my regular Windows updates, or when I used the GetW10 icon to check my computer for W10 compatibility, but I'm not sure. I should note that I never reserved W10 on either of my computers.

Since I have no intention of upgrading the desktop to W10 in the near future, is it OK to delete these folders?

Are they necessary if I later choose to upgrade using the W10 installation CD that I burned, or will they be reproduced during the upgrade process?

Will they come back again with a Windows Update of my Win 7 PC? If so, how can I prevent that from happening?

I have so many questions, so few answers. So thanks for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    1.) Since I have no intention of upgrading the desktop to W10 in the near future, is it OK to delete these folders? Yes

2.) Are they necessary if I later choose to upgrade using the W10 installation CD that I burned, or will they be reproduced during the upgrade process? No, the DVD is all you need.

3.) Will they come back again with a Windows Update of my Win 7 PC? If so, how can I prevent that from happening? They should not as long as you don't reinstall the Win10 preparation updates.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe.
    Regarding item 3 in your reply, besides KB3035583, are there any other Win10 prep updates that I need to uninstall?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, Joe.

I think I'll delete the two folders, and if they come back, I'll follow some of the recommendations in the link you sent.