Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks

A Word of Warning

If anyone is having problems with YT videos since upgrading and there aren't graphics driver updates to be had, don't use msconfig to boot up into Safe Mode with Networking to see if they work in VGA.

I found that while it booted up into Safe Mode, I didn't get the Networking bit to go with it so tried to go back to msconfig for a normal boot, but found nothing comes up from typing anything into the search box - so it's stuck in that mode.

It looks like a revert to Win 7 is now more of a necessity rather than to trouble shoot my existing problems and because of the graphics, it looks like I'm going to have to kick Win 10 into touch as my other laptop (this one) is a year or two older than the one I'd upgraded and doubt if AMD would have any suitable drivers as it doesn't for that one.

I'll have to dig out the phone number for MS to report this as it's something that seems to have been overlooked.

Unfortunately because of the consequences of using msconfig to change the boot, I couldn't ask anyone else to see if they have the same experience.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's not possible to navigate to c:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2015-08-02)

Thanks
    @ Sudo15

Just leave it for a while mate.

It's early days yet.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    It's not possible to navigate to c:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe?
    Thanks Bruce, that did it.

I was able to right click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) and that cmd got me back to msconfig and it has now booted normally - but that still doesn't resolve my graphics/audio problem with BBC iPlayer and YT videos - or Cortana, so I'll regretfully be going back to Win 7.

I wouldn't care but it's now booting up in about 25 secs

EDIT - Ah - I may have fixed iPlayer by using Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering, although at first, audio came on and the iplayer screen turned green before the picture came up.

If I can get Cortana fixed, I can put up with just about being able to click on the Aero button to get the desktop.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-02 at 12:08.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just something I noticed when checking in how I could revert to Win 7, restoring with my external system image.

I don't know if this is the same in Win 8/8.1 but in Win 10 you can no longer use F2 to get into the BIOS or F12 to change the boot order.

However in Settings/Recovery/Advanced options, there a number of options as a workaround and while they seemed to have covered repairing the system, I'm not sure if this would cause desktop users who occasionally want or have to change cards and may need to go into the BIOS to change/check a setting.

I haven't booted up with the Win 10 ISO yet to see if you get the same advanced boot options as you would with F8, a repair or an install disk as you do in Win 7 - but that is something for another day.

Fortunately I have this laptop set to check the disk drive before the HDD, unless Win 10 has changed that - and still not happy with Edge

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How do they stop you using F2/12 as that is a hardware function?

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    How do they stop you using F2/12 as that is a hardware function?

cheers, Paul
    It's probably because Win 10 boots up that quickly to register, the same as F8 no longer worked in Win 8/8.1

I tried both on mine and it just continued to boot up normally.

I have since reverted this machine to Win 7 but the restore wasn't as straight forward as I'd envisaged.

Originally I had no intention of reverting so after the upgrade I decided to give the laptop a clean out and used Disk Cleanup to delete the Windows.old folder, confident at the time that I would easily be able to restore with the external system image I'd created prior to the upgrade.

I first tried that option from within Win 10 just to be told that I would be need to boot up with a repair disk and if I didn't have one, I could create one.

Thinking that perhaps a Win 10 repair disk would be different to a Win 7 one, opted to go ahead just to be told that a particular path couldn't be found.

Next idea was to boot up with the Win 10 ISO so had a look in Recovery to click on Advanced Options which initially says you can use to change the boot order to boot up with a CD/USB.

None of the options described what I wanted and while I didn't check each one out to see if it would allow me to change the boot order - as I already have this machine to boot from Disk or USB before the HDD, booted up with the ISO.

The only option that gave was Repair your Computer - no sign of an option to install.

Anyway, used the restore from one I'd made earlier option which then returned that as it was from a different architecture, that couldn't go ahead either - which just left me with factory resetting with the Recovery disks.

That went okay but because prior to deleting the Recovery partition, I needed to do that again before using the system image.

Unless I'm mistaken, unless machines are already set to boot from other media before the HDD and if anyone decides to revert after the 30 days or if like me they had deleted the Windows.old folder - then I think they will have problems.

So, this has been a PITA like Win 10 has been for me and I wouldn't be surprised if Win 10 has a major update in the very near future, so I'll be staying with Win 7 for at least a couple of months and watching the forum to see how Win 10 develops.

One other thing, when I was playing around with it over the weekend, I found myself creating a log in password thinking it was part of some registration that I'd missed and was something I didn't want, having skipped that bit during its set up.

Hopefully changing the laptop's name and using a different email address will allow me to get out of those settings when I next upgrade and why MS needs your phone number tends to make me suspect that this OS is a lot more intrusive than it has the right to be.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-03 at 08:48.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I don't know if this is the same in Win 8/8.1 but in Win 10 you can no longer use F2 to get into the BIOS or F12 to change the boot order.
    Sudo,

I have no problem using F2 or F12 on either of my Dell Laptops that have Win 10 installed. One has Home the other Pro and both have SSDs. I also have no problem using F12 with my Win 8.1 Pro Dell desktop. The desktop is a UEFI machine and I can't remember the last time I tried to get into the BIOS but I'm sure it does work. It's a good thing as I always boot from USB HDDs to do my Image backups with Macrium Reflect. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Perhaps Fast Startup/Boot is set to on in Windows 10? This bypasses access to the BIOS setup screen as far as I can see.

Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options - System Settings and disable (uncheck) "Turn on Fast Startup".
    Last edited by petesmst; 2015-08-03 at 11:22.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My machine pre-dates UEFI but Pete could have a point as my Fast Startup was default checked.

I can only go by what I found, but unchecking Fast Startup may be worth checking out - it will have to wait for me, but Win 10 certainly made life difficult for me to revert and not being able to create a repair disk didn't help.

There's also the bit about the image not being the same architecture which also blocked the restore.

Thanks
    Pete,

Not in my tests. My Dell XPS 14z with Win 10 Pro (from the insider program) worked just fine w/both F2/F12. I just checked it in light of your post and Fast Boot was enabled. My other laptop did not have Fast Boot enabled as it was upgraded from W7 HP via USB ISO and it must have picked up the setting as I had hibernate disabled on that dual boot machine.

Note: Both machines are pre UEFI!

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    @RetiredGeek: I am UEFI ...(?) (Well, my PC is, anyway!!)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, they wouldn't work for me and together with the rest of the problems - perhaps it was a bad install or it didn't like me unchecking all of those spying options

Thanks
    Sudo,

I also turned off all the spying options! There must be something else afoot here. I know new machines boot pretty quickly so what I do is press the power button then just keep tapping the F12 or F2 key until the desired screen comes up. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was tapping before I hit the power button

I was still getting the initial Toshiba boot screen which told you either F2 or F12 when it started up and then went quickly to the Win 10 blue squares.

With what else wasn't right for me definitely pointed to something amiss with the install - hope I have better luck next time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast